1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chevy's V6 4.3 vs other V6s

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cyberpine, Dec 21, 2010.

1. cyberpine

cyberpine Rockstar

I drove the chevy 2003 v6 4.3 Vortec in small blazer for 5 years. Always found that engine to have great torque, but often it sounded like I was pulling a boat and could never do better than 13mpg.

All that said, I always thought that engine sounded really nice for a v6 and never felt underpowered .

I'm making this statement, because I test drove a 2010 Dodge ram 3.7 V6 the other day and was not at all impressed.

Looking at the specs it's hard to guage what I might be missing out on when comparing the high end and low end of trucks I might be interested in:

The Chevy v6 claims only 195 hp where the Dodge v6 claims 215.

I drove a v6 2010 chevy over 12 months ago and and a 5.4L chevy 2010 about a month ago. I recall the v6 having plenty of power and thought the 5.4 was underpowered compared to Dodges Hemi.

I'm rambling on.. here's my question:

Would you all agree that despite HP rating that the Chevy 4.3 is faster off the gate and likely easier to peel out than the dodge 3.7? (lol - yeah it's important to me). Would you agree that placing a single perfomance muffler on a the Chevy 4.3 will likely sound nicer than on the Dodge 3.7?

[​IMG]
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What is intersting to me is i have 2 S-10 blazers with the 4.3L vortec and they both are kinda gutless to me... If i had a choice i would go with a Chevy. and my personal purchase if it had to be a V-6 would be a 2011 F-150 thanks to a more than generous V-6 offering now.. But im not a fan of dodge at all. they have some of the worst reliablity of anything on the market.
    But for your question. yes get the right gear ratio and the right tires the 4.3L will get out of its own way much easier. And the major thing that you are missing is Dodges Torque numbers since when it comes to a truck torque is WAY more important than HP.. and the Dodge has a rather aniemic 235 LB-Ft to Gms 260 LB-Ft. and the dodges curbe weight is 400lbs heavier.. so right away you are moving more with less.. Also the Dodge is a Over head cam. which is still know to mean you need more RPMS to get your torque and HP...
  3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I don't know how important smokin the tires is to you, but it seems somewhat important so I would go with the a V-8 & leave the 6s for the mpg crowd. There's no substitute for cu. in. & torque when it comes to shreddin tires.:great:
  4. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a 2dr and 4dr 4.3 blazers back in early 2000's. The 2dr would hang with the 4.0L exploders but I would have to give it all she had. Eveyone has their own reasons for engine choices but I would see the long term cost of the 4.8L over the V6.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I have an '05 worktruck w/ the 4.3 and 17" rubber...My '93 Jimmy's 4.3 had better mileage but it was lighter and in 15" rubber! The only thing I don't like about my Silverado is the gas mileage...my overall MPG after 9 months and 8,000 miles is 16.5...

Since I don't care to smoke my tires, I am happy w/ the get up N go factor...
  6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

LOL, I'm not into smokin my truck tires either, (can't afford the mpg loss or the tires) but I gathered from his post, that he is :)

--> Would you all agree that despite HP rating that the Chevy 4.3 is faster off the gate and likely easier to peel out than the dodge 3.7? (lol - yeah it's important to me).
  7. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am in agreement.
  8. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2000 S-10 ZR2 with the 4.3L. I put a hypertech and a K&N FIPK on it with straight pipe exhaust. That thing would scream and i never got less than 15 MGP as long as i didn't play too much. And i completely destroyed a set of 32x11.5x15 Dunlop MT doing burnouts and all that kind of stuff.
  9. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As far as v6's go I hate to say it but nissan makes the best v6. They've been perfecting it in their cars and trucks and if your stuck on getting a v6 then that'd be the thing to go with. For me though if I ever were to get a new vehicle I would always get the biggest, best motor they offer for that vehicle because most of the time it means the rest of the vehicle is made better to suit the motor.
  10. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have to disagree.. Think about it yes it does make 281 lb-ft or Torque, but it makes that at 4000 RPMS.. which is 2500 RPM to late in the truck world. I think they are world class engines yes in a car. in a truck you would have to run it way to hard to actually get anything out of them. That is the disadvantage of an OHC motor is they need RPMs to make the peak numbers where OHV motors will make most of their power down low. The hemi feels aniemic because it makes all of its power way up top as well. which is nice once again after you are moving and if you have enough gears to keep it up in the revs.
    Plus there is no replacement for Displacement when it comes to trucks still. I may not be a fan of the 4.3L but i would take it any day over the Nissan cammer or the Dodge cammer. Just my .02 on that though. since nissan trucks can be fun.