1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Child of the 80's or just like arcade games?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Dr_Zero, Jun 6, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Have any of you here played around with MAME?

Its is so cool me and the little one have been playing mortal combat and pac man and galaga and one of my faves battlezone!

They also have emulators for the Sega and the old nintendo on up to the Super Nintendo have played with them also but man MAME is so much fun!!

I am considering actually building a MAME cabinet but I guess that is jumping ahead of the thread LOL

2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you just download it and it's free to play any of the games?

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Technically the ROMs containing the game data are illegal unless you posses the real arcade game or at least the controller board from the arcade machine. However, lots of people just get the roms off the net and have a ball.

4. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yep, some of the older games you mentioned I still have for Nintendo/64 and use to play with my son when he was young. Now I am not into cause it is so much more envolved, the equipment also is so dam costly......I like the old SIM CITY.........

Jeff

5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

It is free to DL! kinda amaizing now days LOL

The ROMS as people call them are copies of the chips that used to be in the old arcade games someone has dumped the contents and you can D/L them.

Some of the OLDER roms the companies have said it was ok to use them just not to sell them Atari at one time even had them on CD for folks but I think they have stopped.

The goal of emulation is to keep those cool old games from going by the way side since the hardware isnt made anymore and give props to their creators not to make money so its all for free.

6. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

That is a great idea and one that someone doesn't benefit off of another idea. I am glad that some stuff still can be used and free for the fun of it.......

Jeff

7. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i love those games. i used to play pacman all the time. i have one of those games you plug into your tv and you can play pacman, dig dug, racer, galactica, and another