1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Chip in 5.3 1500

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by roughcntryrado, Feb 9, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. I was wondering if anyone with the 5.3l have chips in them and what is a good one to look at, It doesn't really matter on the price to me just as long as it is good for the money i am willing to spend. I've had some cars that had chips in the past just want to get more power!!

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Instead of going with a Performance Chip, there are 2 other Routes you may want to look at, regarding Programmers......the 1st is going with a Custom Tune, like Black Bear Custom Tunes, and the 2nd is going with a Diablo Tune, check with member 06MonteSS here on this site regarding Diablo Tunes......but these are the 2 most often mentioned regarding Tunes here on the Site, and Both Sponsoring Vendor's here on this Site,

Link to Diablo,
    http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=151

Link to Black Bear,
    http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. I have been looking into those also not sure what i want to go with yet

4. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

yeah, there are no "chips" for the newer trucks... you need a flash programmer, to reflash the programming in the pcm module of the truck... the diablosport Trinity is what you want/need... you could also get away with the diablo Predator - but those are on their way to being phased out... they are being replaced by the diablo inTune programmer....

but the Trinity has more features, easier/better data logging, and tcm/transmission support....

5. Hmm, all of those sound pretty good. Ive got the trans guy at work has the edge evolution programmer he loves it for what he paid for it I have been looking into those for what it is

6. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 Rockstar 100 Posts

On my last truck i had a superchips flashpaq programmer and i loved that thing. I used to run a 93 octane performance tune in it, no problems whatsoever....it had like towing modes and fuel economy modes and 87 and 91 octane performance modes also. You can change engine and trany settings, it was great.

Adam

7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a hyper tech it was good but I'm looking into a Blackbear tune. For the price and the extent they can tune ur ecu, you can't beat it

8. Blackbear tune looks pretty good. I am going to throw my buddies JET tune in my truck tonight and see how i like it. He says its a different truck after he put his in, so hopefully i can say the same thing

9. tyler87

tyler87 Rockstar

I just got my Black Bear tune about a month ago and there is a huge difference compared to the superchips i had on my 03 Silverado. Can't say much for milage yet due to too me having to much fun but it is better than stock while i'm running the sport tune.

10. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

im currently on a hypertech, and not satisfied. but i have submitted a deposit for the fort worth blackbear tune, so im hoping everything will get better!