GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Chip in my oil!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TFisher, Feb 22, 2010.

1. TFisher

TFisher New Member

I was changing the oil in the silverado today and I noticed, stuck to the magnetic drainplug, a 1/8" rhombus shaped piece of metal. I wanted to save it, but I lost it... I'm cutting the oil filter open either Wednsday or Friday when I get time. Also, the oil was MEGA dirty, so next oil change will be at 3K instead of what ever that oil life meter thinks.

Do I need to take it to a dealer? Should I not run it until I am certain there's not metal in the oil?

Regards,

Thomas
  2. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 New Member

1/8 inch is a pretty good size. How many miles do you have on the truck?
  3. TFisher

TFisher New Member

The truck has 26K on it. The engine sounds extremely healthy, absolutely no problems with it yet, no hesitation. Once the low oil light (not oil pressure) came on and I immediately shut off the engine and put some oil in it... couldn't find any leaks, no oil spots on the driveway...

I was hoping that the dealer could replace the engine... But I guess it has to run poorly for that. I just hope it fails within the warranty period, not one mile over.

And the problem with changing it ever 3 or 4K, it's my mom's truck and she can't resist playing with the trip odometer, and always turns the odometer off because she doesn't like it. So nobody has any idea how many miles are on the truck until the oil change light comes on. In light of finding the chip, I'm checking the miles once a month so I can change it in 3K (should I run the oil through a strainer?). Still haven't had time to cut open the filter.

Thanks for the response! :)

Any ideas?

Regards,

Thomas
  4. Greg84

Greg84 New Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had stainless steel filters on a couple vehicles over the years (you take them apart and clean them rather than replacing them everytime) and you'd be amazed how many little chunks of metal get filtered out over time.
  5. tommyboy

tommyboy New Member

Write down the mileage when you changed the oil and keep an eye on it. After awhile regular maintenance gets to be a routine you will fall into. I actually enjoy it and take pride in maintaining everything from log splitters to my truck.

With respect to the steel shards, I would continue to drive the truck and keep a close eye on the fluid levels.
  6. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member

didnt hear this from me.... ;)

drain your oil, save it. run the motor untill she locks up, put the oil back in it and call a rollback to take you to the dealer. the gm adjuster wont have a choice but to give the ok to replace
  7. ajax33

ajax33 New Member

Easy way to remember when you change your oil...

I put a piece of duct tape on the frame under the hood and write the mileage and date on it
  8. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 New Member

9. TFisher

TFisher New Member

UPDATE: Found a tiny amount water in the oil yesterday (yellow foam on the dipstick). Got an appointment with the dealer on Friday. Going to demand a new engine.
  10. pmartin816

pmartin816 New Member

Good luck. I hope they give you one.
  11. TFisher

TFisher New Member

Couldn't have gone worse.

The dealer said they drained the oil and didn't see anything (despite the fact that all they looked at was the drain plug.). They insisted that I was wrong and what I saw was metal shavings on the dipstick, and that the chips in the oil are different. The ahole told me this between bites of his lunch.

They did the oil change for free, despite the fact there was only 100 miles on the oil that was in it. They also rotated the tires.

While I was waiting, I spoke with finance about extending the warranty which was a waste of time, but something interesting did come out of it, there was a new guy shadowing the clerk. I got into a conversation with him and it turns out he was a mechanic. So I asked him if he saw a lot of 5.3's, and he said no, he almost never saw them for any reason. Then I asked him what the effects of E85 in a non-flex fuel engine are. His response was:
    "It's bad. The damage happens very quickly. The one we had come in wouldn't run, we had to replace all of the fuel lines, the entire fuel delivery system except for the spider. It would not run smoothly after that and would need a new spider to run like normal."
    So I asked if the flex fuel components for 5.3's are available and possible to be installed on a non-flex fuel model. He said that yes the parts are available.

After that, since there were no customers, I decided to talk with a salesman about the new models. He showed me one for a little over 32,900 with Z71 off road, 4X4 and a G80! So we got talking about the G80, and this guy was trying to tell me that the G80 was the automatic transfer case and all 4X4's have them. So I tried to talk to him about it (It even said on his monitor: "G80 Heavy duty locking rear differential") and he insisted that it was the transfercase.

Then I just brought her home and I'm gonna keep a close eye on it, I don't care about these chips anymore, as long as any damage happens under warranty.

BTW, the dealership I went to was Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Frederick MD. They're notorious for their kind and knowledgable finance office, and their biblically terrble service dept.

Regards,

Thomas
  12. 383man

383man New Member

Wow, lol, I would definately not recomend that on al cause of a metal chip...now a reacurring lemon...maybe lol
  13. doug_scott

doug_scott New Member

Maybe its just me, but, did you want them to put the old oil back in? Or where you somehow upset that they did not charge you for the oil change they did? And then to end the story by telling us you knew the dealer has a reputation for less than sellar service BEFORE you went there? Why did you go there? You can get warranty work done at any dealer. Not really sure what your issue with them is.
  14. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

Let's see.
    You didn't check your oil regularly and you drove the vehicle with low oil and worn out oil.
    You drive the vehicle and other family members drive the vehicle and not one of you bothers to keep track of miles between oil changes.
    You found a metal chip in the oil.
    And now you want someone else to pay for and give you a new engine?

....amazing.......:slap:
  15. 383man

383man New Member

geez man, take it easy, the "low oil" light comes on well before any damage can occur, and as long as you take action when it comes on, you'd be fine, and changed the oil at when the life meter ran out, which these new vehicles can run for 8000 miles on the same oil fine, as per chevy, chevy should pay for it, thats what warranties are for
  16. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

If you don't change your oil and you let it go bad and low, and you damage your vehicle from neglect
    you should not expect someone else (GM) to foot the bill.

17. 383man

383man New Member

did you read what i wrote? are you a gm rep? sounds like the money is coming straight out of your pocket... I like to think that were one big family here at GMTC, and theres no need for yelling, or calling people out, constructive critisism is one thing, but there was nothing constructive about your comments... just my $.02
  18. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

Whether I am a GM rep or not is irrelevant. And No one is yelling or calling anyone out. Once again if someone neglects their vehicle and causes damage they should not expect the manufacturer to replace an engine for damage they caused due to their own fault. Do you get why that is unethical and wrong? .....I guess you don't......just my $.02.

19. 383man

383man New Member

I guess you don't see why I don't think that it was his fault, oh well, agree to disagree, i don't want to get in some battle with ya, but no matter what happens to my truck, if its under warranty, it's gonna be free, call me unethical if you will, but if given the opportunity for a multi billion dollar company to foot the bill, or me, well... so really though, I don't need any battle royal's :fighting0040:
  20. doug_scott

doug_scott New Member

Don't you (as a US citizen) own about 60% of that multi billion dollar company? Ever wonder how or why that happened?