1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chip or programmer for 2003 chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mudislife2, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mudislife2

mudislife2 Member

Hello all,
    I am new here so I hope that I put this in the right place.
    Ok, I have a 2003 chevy 1500 Z71 with the 5.3 liter. I am trying to get more mpgs, and/or more power. I have 35" BFG allterrains and I tow a 20' pontoon boat on the weekends along with runing fire calls for my fire Dept. I am looking at some headers from Summit racing for an increase, and I have also been looking at tuning chips. I dont need to do anything crazy to the trucks computer but i would like to have the ability to change the power and Mpgs. Is there a simple chip like super chips 2950.
    Summit Racing Part NumberSRC-2950
    Do you all have any suggestions on what to use that is simple to use and not to extravagant??
    Thank you all very much!!!
  2. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Diablo Sport Predator, $275 and you get the best bang for your buck. Probably the most versatile handheld tuner on the market for under $300.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what Metaluzc said. DiabloSport Preditor programmer. 4WheelOnLine.com has 'em for $280.00 shipped.
  4. mudislife2

mudislife2 Member

Ok, thanks alot!! I will post sooner or later what I will do.
  5. nickpatton_189

nickpatton_189 Rockstar 100 Posts

I say Diablo also! I'm happy with it and easy to use
  6. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

My vote is for a custom tune from blackbear. I've talked to several people about this topic and all of them that switched from the hand held programmers to a custom tune have been 100% satisfied with the results. Once I finish getting my performance parts ill be going with a custom tune.
  7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

get the diablo...

and if you want even more giddy-up, you can always get a custom tune made for it specifically for your truck if you wish - by a diablosport CMR custom tuner like me - and you'll still have the flexibility of the handheld, instead of having to swap modules, ship them out, etc etc...
  8. nickpatton_189

nickpatton_189 Rockstar 100 Posts

yea i would say custom tune as well, if you were building your truck a little more, but for what you want the diablo will be just fine. i was leaning for the custom tune before my programmer, but i wasnt done building my truck, and im still not, with a custom tune your kinda just stuck with what you got, cant modify anything, but dont get me wrong custom tunes are good, i just think not for what you want. youll be happy with the diablo
  9. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

If you are 100% positive you have done everything you want to performance wise, go with a custom tune, but if you feel that in the future you will be buying additional mods, go with the DSP. As 06MonteSS said, you can also get a custom tune with your DSP.
  10. mudislife2

mudislife2 Member

Well as far as performance mods go for later i do want to do a true dual exaust not a cat back, and I am considering a k and n intake at some point later. So I think i will go ahead and go with the chip. It will do what I need it to do for a while. i am going to build front and rear bumpers before i do the exaust and intake.I appreciate the advice and I will post later when I get it.
    :glasses: