Chip or programmer for 2003 chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mudislife2, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mudislife2

mudislife2 Member

Hello all,
    I am new here so I hope that I put this in the right place.
    Ok, I have a 2003 chevy 1500 Z71 with the 5.3 liter. I am trying to get more mpgs, and/or more power. I have 35" BFG allterrains and I tow a 20' pontoon boat on the weekends along with runing fire calls for my fire Dept. I am looking at some headers from Summit racing for an increase, and I have also been looking at tuning chips. I dont need to do anything crazy to the trucks computer but i would like to have the ability to change the power and Mpgs. Is there a simple chip like super chips 2950.
    Summit Racing Part NumberSRC-2950
    Do you all have any suggestions on what to use that is simple to use and not to extravagant??
    Thank you all very much!!!

2. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Diablo Sport Predator, $275 and you get the best bang for your buck. Probably the most versatile handheld tuner on the market for under $300.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what Metaluzc said. DiabloSport Preditor programmer. 4WheelOnLine.com has 'em for $280.00 shipped.

4. mudislife2

mudislife2 Member

Ok, thanks alot!! I will post sooner or later what I will do.

5. nickpatton_189

nickpatton_189 Rockstar 100 Posts

I say Diablo also! I'm happy with it and easy to use

6. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

My vote is for a custom tune from blackbear. I've talked to several people about this topic and all of them that switched from the hand held programmers to a custom tune have been 100% satisfied with the results. Once I finish getting my performance parts ill be going with a custom tune.

7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

get the diablo...

and if you want even more giddy-up, you can always get a custom tune made for it specifically for your truck if you wish - by a diablosport CMR custom tuner like me - and you'll still have the flexibility of the handheld, instead of having to swap modules, ship them out, etc etc...

8. nickpatton_189

nickpatton_189 Rockstar 100 Posts

yea i would say custom tune as well, if you were building your truck a little more, but for what you want the diablo will be just fine. i was leaning for the custom tune before my programmer, but i wasnt done building my truck, and im still not, with a custom tune your kinda just stuck with what you got, cant modify anything, but dont get me wrong custom tunes are good, i just think not for what you want. youll be happy with the diablo

9. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

If you are 100% positive you have done everything you want to performance wise, go with a custom tune, but if you feel that in the future you will be buying additional mods, go with the DSP. As 06MonteSS said, you can also get a custom tune with your DSP.

10. mudislife2

mudislife2 Member

Well as far as performance mods go for later i do want to do a true dual exaust not a cat back, and I am considering a k and n intake at some point later. So I think i will go ahead and go with the chip. It will do what I need it to do for a while. i am going to build front and rear bumpers before i do the exaust and intake.I appreciate the advice and I will post later when I get it.
    :glasses: