1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

chip question

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by jiujitsu, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jiujitsu

jiujitsu New Member

im new to the site and i see guys writting bout putting chips in so i took a look at hyphertech,is that a good chip to go with ?are there really good gains with them?...what would be a good brand if not hypertech

and a friend of mine told me i'd have to worry about a chip shortening the life of the motor but hes not positive on that so i figured i'd ask considering i dont know either hehe

thx guys
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

you cant go wrong with a Superchips or Hypertech !

not sure on the engine life, i have heard rumors
  3. opusd2

opusd2 New Member

I've got the Hypertech Thermomaster chip in my '89 and it was installed around 190K miles ago. I got increased mileage and power along with a cooler running engine, as long as you run 93 octane. And even running that octane, I still come out ahead with what I pay for fuel.
  4. daddytech

daddytech New Member

I like the others have no idea about it actually shortening the life of the motor, I really can't see how it would. All you are doing with the modded chips is trying to make the computerized part of your motor run optimally if you run the right motor oil and addatives I can't see how something electronic would harm that in the long run unless you have a failure in the computer it's self.

I put a stage 5 hypertech chip in an IROC I had back in the 80's and the lady in Dublin GA that bought it is still running the car. she (like me) only runs mobil 1 in it and has just started adding Lucas to the oil recently. the car has over 380,000 miles on it and will still squeak the tires at every shift. Just for knowlage sake the Hypertech stage 5 has not been made since 1988 when they were outlawed because they out performed the modded 5.0 mustangs the state patrol and government cars were using back then.