1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Chip Questions INPUT NEEDED

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Tdaz250, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

hey all, im new to the forum and i just figured i could get some questions i had answered on here. i just got my first truck, its a 2000 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L Z71/4x4. I've just been looking to start doing some upgrades/putting some stuff on to make it a little faster/more powerful but also making the gas millage go up a little bit. Some obvious first things that i want to do are put a K&N intake on it, exhaust(either magnaflow or corsa if i feel like spending that much) and maybe a chip. Now i have alot of questions that need to be answered. I've been talking to my dad about it and he says that alot of this stuff i put on my truck will not boost it as much as it says because its a 4 wheel drive. An example is that i said "i want to get a hypertech chip, it will give it some boost in HP and alot of people say that they get a millage increase of 1-3 MPG." his reply is usually "well since yours is 4x4 its heavier, has more parts, so your not really going to get a millage boost." Is this true? Can somebody answer this for me? These are just the beginnings to the truck, but right now i have some money and the first thing i want to buy is something thats going to make power and millage go up, but i dont want to slap down 400 bucks for a chip thats not going to do anything. If anybody can answer my questions, recommend me stuff for my truck, or throw in some input, that would be good. Any kind of feedback or input would be appriciated. And thanks ahead of time for the replys!

2. javojjaaf

javojjaaf Member

ok, first off nice truck! Just because its a 4X4 does not mean this stuff is not going to work, but the extra weight does have a little input on mpg. Your intake and exhaust is a must for starting to get better miliage, and your choices are some of the best that can be made. Now the computer side of things. I like to stay away from the "plug and play" tuners and the chips because they have a very generic tune for the amount of money you pay for it, plus its not custom to your other upgrades. I personaly like the tune you can get from PCMforless.com. it will cost you between $175 and $250 plus shipping depending on which computer you have to get it tuned, here are both of them.... http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=40
    here is the link to there home page..... http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

i think there tune is well worth the little bit of money you pay for the tune. these guys have been around for a while and do a good job. i had a 04" GMC Canyon reg. cab 2.8L 4 banger 5-speed done by them after a lift and 32" tires and couldn't even tell i had done all that any more. the lift and tires draged it down so bad i could only get it up to about 95 mph when it would hit the speed limiter, which the will remove, before at 98 mph. after the tune i ran the thing up to 115 with no problem. they juced it up, i had mine tuned for premium gas for better power gain, corrected my speedo due to the taller tires, took into account the intake and exhaust i had on it, and if you have a auto trans they can make it shift firmer which makes a worlds difference, they set a custome rev limit based on the engen and so on and so forth. all i can say is its the best bet for the money or i wouldn't wright this hole spill about them. check them out an let me know what you think and i hope you go for it!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  3. Tdaz250

how do those things work? is it something you put in the engine or...? i've heard alot of people say go with custom tunes, but im just not sure that i want to because im basically going to be buying stuff piece by piece and then wouldnt i have to go get the truck retuned every time?

4. javojjaaf

javojjaaf Member

that is the down side to having it doen this way.the way it works is you send your factory computer in to them and they send it back with the tune. you can wate for yours to returne or you can get a loner pcm from them with the tune already on it. lets say you have it tuned for you intake and exhaust and you want to install a cam later on, you do have to send it back to them and have it re-done but its only $75 every time after the first. pluse if you went with a non-tuneable chip or a pluge and play tuner you cant make the adjustments for your extras like an cam or even your intake and exhaust like there tune will allow you to do and what do you have now....a useless chip or tuner that you payed a butt load for and is doing you no good anymore. its just like everything else, it has its up and its downs.

5. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

Does that pcm also adjust shift points and stiffness? Thanks

6. Tdaz250

oh i understand it now. i guess thats one of the last things i'll have to do then. i just dont like having to have them redo it all the time for the charge, but i can see what you mean about how they customize it for the parts that you have. thanks for the help!

7. javojjaaf

javojjaaf Member

yes they have three different settings.... quicker shifts than stock, quicker and firmer, and as firm as possable for all out racing with a stock trans

8. javojjaaf

javojjaaf Member

not a broblem, keep us updated on the truck!

9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Custom tuning is great and affordable. Something to think about though is the Hypertech tuner not only allows you to install and remove a variety of tunes ranging from economy, towing, and performance but allows you to adjust your own shift firmness and recalibrate your speedo (in case you run bigger tires or change your gear ratio). The Hypertech tuner can also be used as a Diagnostic code reader with the ability to reset codes as well. You can also load the stock tune back in at any time if you sell the truck or take it in for service.

10. javojjaaf

javojjaaf Member

yea thats not a bad deat either. how much do those go for?