1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Chip recommendations and other questions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by PSP, Jun 9, 2007.

1. PSP

PSP New Member

These are probably newbie questions but here goes....

1. I have a 1994 GMC Suburban K1500. Not looking to race the thing or anything like that, but I've heard that some chips not only improve performance but gas mileage. At least it did on my european sedan. What should I get?

2. How does one go about replacing the oddball stock stereo in the '94 with a DIN model without destrying the dashboard? Is there some kind of an adapter available?

3. Anyone ever seen an aftermarket center-hump under dash console that works with/around/inspite of the 4wd shifter?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts

First of all Welcome,PSP.

1. I'm not an expert at. So I'll let someone else take a stab at that one.

2. Yes there is an aftermarket kit with all the pieces at a good Stereo shop. Its the only way to go really. I had one in my 89 Chev Silverado. Looked, Mint!

3. I've only seen custom build under dash units. Years ago I build an over-head console (from visor to viser) for a friend. He put his CB, some switches and a Stereo up there it look sweet.

Good Luck!
  3. Cableguy

4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

There's more to that thread, but it seems to be missing now.

If you're looking for ideas on how to create your own center console, you might try searching through MP3car.com They have a lot of DIY'ers on that sort of thing.
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Wish I could be of more help, I know the guys on my Fiero forum use lap tops to control their chips.

But any chip will have some programmable features, by some means. Be it their own programming devise or a lap top.

I’m not a real technology fan so my knowledge in this area is, to say the least, limited.
  6. PSP

PSP New Member

looks like we have the same '94!
  7. PSP

PSP New Member

Thanks! So what happens to the factory radio installation? It just stays where it is but isn't utilized?
  8. Cableguy

Not sure. It was a few years back but my stock stereo came out and it came with a thing that turned it into a place for storage, like sunglasses and stuff. I looks pretty cool when it all done.
    The kit is more than likely the same though
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The radio installation kit will make a standard DIN sized radio fit in the oddball location of the factory radio. As cableguy said, it'll look stockish, nothing ugly about it. I have installed aftermarket radios in my 05 saturn and my 91 sub with everything looking perfectly stock. (on a side note, my sub radio doesn't look 100% stock simply because the kit came with different face offsets, and the way the 91 dash is set up, I chose to put the 2 inch forward offset on so I could get to the radio, but I could have opted to use the flush faceplate....)
  10. Cableguy

Good point! It does move it over to a bit of a stretch, but it not to far. I like your idea though. You just tilted it alittle towards you?