1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Chirping

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dasmith23, Mar 20, 2010.

1. dasmith23

dasmith23 New Member

I have an 05 GMC seirra 5.3 and it started making a chirping noise in the engine compartment, I thought it might be a faulty belt or tensioner but after replacing all those It continues to chirp. I took both the belts off so no accessories were turning and it is still chirping. any suggestions. some one said it could be a faulty roller lifter but i really don't know anything about internal engine diagnostics can anyone help

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. madmanchevy

madmanchevy New Member

I have the same problem with my 5.3l.
    I scotch brite the pullies, checked the belt for any glazing and replaced the idler pully too.
    Anybody with suggestions please help me out.
    Thank you all :)
    Adam

3. vette66guy

vette66guy New Member

I have the same problem. The noise seems to come from the back of the engine. I repalced belts idlers and front y pipe. The noise did start after the intake manifold was replaced and appears after the engine is hot. I was thinking maybe a exhaust or intake leak. I have driven approx 3k miles and noise is no worse or better. Please post if you find a solution. thanks chris

4. unspun96

unspun96 New Member

Has anyone had any luck figuring out what the chirping is. The same thing is happening with my 09 yukon 5.3. Changed tension pulley and alternator. After that didn't work, ran with belts off, still chirps. Starts chirping after the engine warms up. I have seen several posts about the problem but have not seen any follow up resolutions.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had a similar issue on my s10 blazer with the 4.3. It was coming from the alternator pulley. But it only did it while the engine was cold. I changed the belt and tensioner thinking that was the issue but it wasn't. It was like that when I traded it in on the Sierra.

6. unspun96

unspun96 New Member

Ok - mine was a lifter that became very pitted. It also caused damage to the cam. Lifters and cam are being replaced. Not a cheap job - over 4k. There is less than 29,000 miles on the Yukon. I bought the Yukon used from dealer with just about 19,000 on it. It was GM certified. I've been running synthetic oil in it, changed when oil life indicated about 15 percent life left. Have no idea why lifter would become damaged like that. I have a 2001 Silverado with the 5.3 that has over 105,000 miles on it, and a 2002 Sierra with the 5.3 that has about 194,000 miles on it - neither have had this problem. Got a 2012 Sierra with the 5.3 right before this happened and am hoping the problem does not happen to it. I will try to post a picture of the damaged lifter. 034.jpg 033.jpg

7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Was there a bad oil passage?

8. unspun96

unspun96 New Member

No - there was no oil issues. When searching for what may be causing the chirping, I had read where someone mentioned some 'bad' metal that was used in the lifters. I'm not sure if that may be the case of not.

9. wilson fabrication

wilson fabrication New Member

same problem

i had a 06 1500 with the 4.8 @ 72000miles had two lifters go in it and just had my 06 1500 with the 5.3 184,000miles just had one go bad. my pa inlaw has my wifes 2000 gmc with the 4.8 360000miles and only a window motor to replace haha. i belive the 04 thru 06 are the ones that have a bad batch of lifters. i just hope my wifes new 2011 doest with the flex fuel 8 of the 16 lifters are designed to collapes when the engine drops to 4 cylinders. those lifters are 200 bucks a piece.

10. stratct

stratct New Member

Ahhh the chirp of a bad camshaft/crankshaft position sensor