1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Christmas lights on my truck??

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by tigersdl65, Dec 6, 2011.

1. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok guys i wanna run christmas light on my brush guard. Any ideas on how I would go about wiring that, and making them so that they will turn on and off with my ignition??
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Use an inverter (modified sinewave should be fine for this application) that's wired into an aftermarket cig lighter that you power from a +12v source in the fuse box that's only active when the ignition is on. Then simply plug the lights into the inverter like you would any other wall outlet. I recommend keeping the inverter in the cab and finding a way to string the plug of the lights into the cab ... so the inverter isn't subjected to the elements. (Or spend a LOT more and get one that can handle the elements)

Surreal
  3. tigersdl65

Is there any way to wire them to the battery and use... say a remote cable that runs to my steroe headunit to turn them on and off. I understand that they run on ac and not dc though.

Nice truck by the way
  4. SurrealOne

The wire from the stereo head unit is a relay wire and may or may not deliver +12v; if it does it likely only does it when the head unit is turned on, not when the ignition is turned on as you first specified. Regardless, you need the inverter to convert from DC to AC so you can run the lights; you're not going to get AC power straight off the battery.

Surreal
    P.S. Thanks for your comment on my truck. :great:
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your the first person who thought of this besides me lol! I was going to wrap my rollbar in christmas lights a few years back, and my dad thought I was nuts. I priced everything to do it, and it was close to $200.00 for the amount of lights I wanted. I never did it, but every year around this time I think about doing it.
  6. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

7. SurrealOne

Nice! Witht that he could do an add-a-fuse to +12v in the fuse box (to a fuse that only has +12v when the ignition is on), connect it to an aftermarket lighter socket, and plug those into it. Simple and elegant.

Surreal
  8. tigersdl65

I got the inverter and 150 lights(too many). But i cut the strand and added some wire to it cuz i couldn't find a hole large enough to put an outlet plug through. Works great. Ill try to get some pics.
  9. Fonze

Fonze Member

Any pics of the lights yet?! :D