Clay Bar Detailing?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jmonte3, Aug 1, 2008.

1. jmonte3

jmonte3 Rockstar 100 Posts

What is your take on clay bar detailing? has anyone had experience with it...I have some trash/overspray in my paint that i want to get rid of...Alot of ppl say this is the best way to do it, is it a good buy? And wat is the best to buy... I have black paint so every little thing shows and it pisses me off...get back to me

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have tried two clay bar products before. The first was Mother's Clay Bar. I used it once on my old Ford Ranger, and it worked great. It took LOTS of elbow grease and time, but it was worth it. It made the paint really smooth and it came to a great shine after waxing.

The other product I've tried is Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar. I wasn't impressed with this one. I used it on my current truck a couple of months ago and I'm not convinced it did any good. I've heard others with similar opinions. I say, go with Mother's. Other people may have had good experiences with other brands.

I'll go ahead and throw in that I was really impressed with Turtle Wax Ice Wax. I bought the paste wax, they also sell a liquid. It was easy, and it doesn't matter if your truck is sitting in the blazing Texas sun. Good stuff!

3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea i tried the liquid clay bar and it did not work that great. go woth a real mothers or mcguires clay bar and put time into it cuz it will be worth it.

4. cosm3os

cosm3os New Member

Used it many times. Mothers is easy to find at auto stores. Works very well to clean the paint to prepare it for sealant to protect it.

5. chapablazer

chapablazer New Member

6. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Mother's Clay Bar is awesome. I've used it many times in the past with excellent results. It's very easy to apply and you'll just love how smooth the paint feels when you're done. I know when I first used it I was amazed at how dirty the paint really was.

Just wash, clay, polish, wax, and you're done!

I'd also avoid the paste or "paint cleaner" stuff.

7. 2nd Amendment

2nd Amendment New Member

Gotta go against the grain here and say that Clay Magic is the better choice for me. Get the Blue bar and use Wizard's Mist 'N' Shine as the carrier. Use very light pressure to start out and let the clay bar do the work, not muscle. DO NOT DROP IT. Cut it in half and store the rest in the container provided.

Mother's was OK, but the Clay Magic seemed easier to work with.

8. gmcem50

gmcem50 Member

+1 on the Clay Magic. I was doing some bodywork on a buddy's car in my side yard and unknowingly allowed a cloud of primer overspray to coat my next door neighbor's car. The Clay Magic took it right off, along with all the hazy oxidation that was on the car before. It took me a few hours to do the whole car, but it looked brand new when I was done with it.