1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleaning Black Diamond Plate Toolbox

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JohnRoss1986, Feb 12, 2013.

1. JohnRoss1986

JohnRoss1986 New Member

Any suggestions on how I can clean my tool box? You can't really see the build up past the pollen in the picture. But it's got a white film across the top. photo9.jpg
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would pour some simple green on it and then go at it with a stiff brush
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sounds like someone applied wax to it and let it dry?

Apply Simple Green when not in direct sunlight (so it wont' dry out quickly), wait 3-5 mins, and like Pikey said -- use a brush. If that doesn't do it then try 3M Adhesive, Tar and Wax Remover.
  4. JohnRoss1986

JohnRoss1986 New Member

Ha! Caught...

Aside from the white film the finish was starting to look dull too. That's why I tried waxing it.. I failed. Got some mean green last night, gonna give it a try. Thanks for the advice fellas.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

if the box is not too old I would return it . the powder coat must be defective. the alum box requires a coating to prevent the alum from corroding . using acid cleaners/ strong cleaning agents will attack the finish.

the alum will then turn white powdery as it corrodes.
  6. craigandi

craigandi New Member

soap, water, dry, then a sponge with wd-40 followed with a dry towel. works great.
  7. JohnRoss1986

JohnRoss1986 New Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I tested out a spot with mean green and it worked. It took away the white film and shined it up a little.