GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

cleaning engine and engine compartment?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by freddie, Oct 14, 2012.

1. freddie

freddie New Member

Can you some how clean the engine compartment and not harm electronics? If so how and what are the steps in doing so?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

3. freddie

freddie New Member

I dont know if your just trying to be smart or what. But for your information i do use the search. More than not i can never find what i am looking for. If you meant no disrespect then please excuse my comment and thank you for your comment. But the link to other posts didnt really tell me what all to cover up. Or maybe i just dont understand enough about what they are talking about and i need to do my research on what i dont understand.
  4. Mook@Adams

Mook@Adams New Member

Good Afternoon Freddie!

Check out this video on the best methods for Cleaning Your Engine Bay!

Clean Your Engine

-
    Mook
  5. freddie

freddie New Member

Thank you!
  6. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member

hey freddie...try using a leaf blower after you wash it to dry it out, it disples water
    like you wouldn't believe.............good luck, works for me
    Brian from Canada:party:
  7. stchman

stchman New Member

Some here may disagree, but I go to the car wash and spray off the engine with the power nozzles. After that start the car to help dry it off.

Never had a problem with doing this.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I use P-21 motorcycle cleaner a little lite brushing then some water Even takes Mud off..
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I do the same thing! I just don't pull the trigger. a quick rinse avoiding the alternator and as many other electrical components as I can. Then I spray it down with tire foam. (I learned this working at a detail shop) I use the cheap stuff for it. (no touch, or what ever is on sale) It leaves all the all the rubber hoses and black plastic looking nice and shiny for about 6 months or so, depending on if I drive alot of dirt roads.
  10. stchman

stchman New Member

I pull the trigger, I just hold the nozzle about 2 feet or more away.

I will have to try the cheap tire foam stuff.

Thanks.
  11. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Generally, mine does not need to be blasted. I am just rinsing dust off. The tire foam even does a good job cleaning crap off of the fire wall. Plus it seems to protect everything from moisture. When I sold my 02 everyone that looked at it commented on how clean the engine bay was. Multiple people commented on the brake booster and asked if it was new because there was no rust on it at all and all the other 02's they looked at the booster was covered in rust.
  12. 87silver

87silver New Member

We just bought a '99 Ford F150 reg cab short bed that was left by my father in law who passed away (yes, we still have our 2 Chevy pickups as well). The engine bay was pretty sorry looking. I covered any of the sizeable harness terminations and electronic modules with plastic grocery bags that you get from the market. Sprayed it down with a hose, but used a wide angle spray instead of a direct stream to coat. Then I sprayed Simple Green on the entire compartment including the inside of the hood (had no hood insulator). After soaking, a string mop with a 2' handle (cut off) was lightly swished around and between all components, then I rinsed again with a wide angle spray. Started the engine and warmed it up to dry. Impressive results. Should have taken pics, but it truly worked for me.
  13. Tskerik

Tskerik New Member

I'm not sure on the best way to clean under the hood, as my truck has not been cleaned under the hood since I purchased. I did however have a conversation with a mechanic that told me if I do ever watch under the hood to avoid spraying in the area under the intake. The reason for this is apparently there are some sensors that are in the the block and once water enters these holes they cannot escape.

This guy told me that what would happen is once the water enters this area and once the engine gets hot the water boils, pops up, hits the top of the bottom of the intake and falls back into the hole, eventually causing the sensor in there to rot away.

Don't quote me on this but just a little peice of information that this guy shared with me. Not sure if its the truth or not!
  14. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

my ignition coils are over my valve covers, will the tire foam hurt any of that or is it ok to spray over it all?
  15. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I spray it all with the foam and have not had any issues.
  16. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

do you rinse the foam off or let it dry. also i had an oil pan gasket go out on another vehicle i worked on. needless to say everything below it got covered with oil. does it work on oil and grease?
  17. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

The car wash in my town has an engine cleaning spray, that stuff works wonders on everything. Do you guys wait until your engine is completely cool before spraying it down?
  18. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I have never used it on oil, so I don't know. I just let it dry itself. I have used gunk engine bright to get oil and grease off.
  19. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

Ok ive heard of that stuff before but never used it.
  20. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I just make sure that the engine bright does not sit on any rubber for any amount of time.