1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cleaning engine and engine compartment?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by freddie, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Generally, mine does not need to be blasted. I am just rinsing dust off. The tire foam even does a good job cleaning crap off of the fire wall. Plus it seems to protect everything from moisture. When I sold my 02 everyone that looked at it commented on how clean the engine bay was. Multiple people commented on the brake booster and asked if it was new because there was no rust on it at all and all the other 02's they looked at the booster was covered in rust.
  2. 87silver

87silver New Member

We just bought a '99 Ford F150 reg cab short bed that was left by my father in law who passed away (yes, we still have our 2 Chevy pickups as well). The engine bay was pretty sorry looking. I covered any of the sizeable harness terminations and electronic modules with plastic grocery bags that you get from the market. Sprayed it down with a hose, but used a wide angle spray instead of a direct stream to coat. Then I sprayed Simple Green on the entire compartment including the inside of the hood (had no hood insulator). After soaking, a string mop with a 2' handle (cut off) was lightly swished around and between all components, then I rinsed again with a wide angle spray. Started the engine and warmed it up to dry. Impressive results. Should have taken pics, but it truly worked for me.
  3. Tskerik

Tskerik New Member

I'm not sure on the best way to clean under the hood, as my truck has not been cleaned under the hood since I purchased. I did however have a conversation with a mechanic that told me if I do ever watch under the hood to avoid spraying in the area under the intake. The reason for this is apparently there are some sensors that are in the the block and once water enters these holes they cannot escape.

This guy told me that what would happen is once the water enters this area and once the engine gets hot the water boils, pops up, hits the top of the bottom of the intake and falls back into the hole, eventually causing the sensor in there to rot away.

Don't quote me on this but just a little peice of information that this guy shared with me. Not sure if its the truth or not!
  4. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

my ignition coils are over my valve covers, will the tire foam hurt any of that or is it ok to spray over it all?
  5. Pikey

I spray it all with the foam and have not had any issues.
  6. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

do you rinse the foam off or let it dry. also i had an oil pan gasket go out on another vehicle i worked on. needless to say everything below it got covered with oil. does it work on oil and grease?
  7. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

The car wash in my town has an engine cleaning spray, that stuff works wonders on everything. Do you guys wait until your engine is completely cool before spraying it down?
  8. Pikey

I have never used it on oil, so I don't know. I just let it dry itself. I have used gunk engine bright to get oil and grease off.
  9. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

Ok ive heard of that stuff before but never used it.
  10. Pikey

I just make sure that the engine bright does not sit on any rubber for any amount of time.