1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

cleaning engine and engine compartment?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by freddie, Oct 14, 2012.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

On a cool engine I use a spray bottle and coat the entire engine and bay to include the underside of the hood. Give it a few minutes to do it's thing and rinse with a garden hose. As was mentioned before I try to keep the water away from the intake manifold area. When I rinse the top of the engine I directly spray the water down onto the plastic engine cover from above. And I do this often.

2. newcheylover

newcheylover Member 1 Year

what cleaner do you use

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Sorry about that. I use Simple Green.

4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Now i just use WD40 for everything. keeps dirt from sticking and it washes off easily, should i choose to really hit mud holes.
    inner fenders look great, frame looks good, mud flaps stay clean. certainly better than what i was using before =)

5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Simple green works awesome as a degreaser...

6. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hi, Freddie:

You can put sandwich bags over the smaller electrical items/relays/switches or cover them with some painter's plastic and wrap gently with some masking tape, such that it takes maybe 10-15 min of your time to prep prior to cleaning.

I try not to use a nozzle on the hose, instead using a control valve on the end and try to cascade water over things. This is less likely to force water into places where it has no business, like back up sirens for car alarms and non water proof relays.

I usually use Kit or ZipWax car wash detergent. It has wax in it, and makes the cleaned surfaces nice and shiny. I go over inner fender and other large metal surfaces with a spray cleaner/wax. Many are available for this purpose. Only use these after removing dirt particles with your water and soap, or you will end up with lots of scratches.

Other advice I have is to try to only detail a portion at one time. Otherwise, you take up so much time and labor you won't want to do it again for a long time, and then it is lots of work. Try washing just the radiator area or front first, getting all metal surfaces and the plastic housing on the side of the radiator toward the engine. Next time try doing one fender well area. Then the other, then the engine, then the firewall area. You will find more satisfying results this way.

7. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I just use simple green... non diluted. Nice thing is it is environmentally friendly.