Cleaning Mesh Grille

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by feb, Mar 24, 2012.

1. feb

feb Rockstar

I have a chrome mesh grille on my 2011 Silverado. What do you guys used to clean yours with? Some kind of foam brush or a tooth brush to get in between the mesh and get the water spots off? Thanks

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

091.jpg When I truck I spray some Simple Green on the grill and a brush all over it and on the chrome around it.. Very carefull around the hood vents

3. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I usually just use a microfiber brush I picked up at wal-mart and some car wash soap used to wash my truck. check out the auto-detailing aisle at wal-mart they have all sorts of cleaning trinkets.

4. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Enke, I want your hood.

As far as the thread topic, as Amac said, you might be surprised what you can find at a decent auto shop or even a good walmart. For every auto cleaning job, someone has created a tool. If you do your own detailing on your truck, your arsenal will exceed a good barbecue set.

5. feb

feb Rockstar

Thanks everyone. I have a soft brush to use on the mesh when I am washing my truck. When I am drying it, I don't have anything to get in the mesh to dry it off and keep the water spots away and make the mesh shine like the rest of the truck.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  6. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

Try using a shop vac. If you reverse the hose you can use the side that blows out air. This way you just blast all the water towards the engine and no water should remain on the grill to drip down and ruin your freshly cleaned ride :great:

7. feb

feb Rockstar

Thanks, I will try that. I have an air compressor that I will use. I never thought of that.

8. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Yep there is nothing like wiping down the whole truck and having to continue to wipe down the areas that drip. I'm forever trying to push my chamois into the plastic piece the mirrors sit on, any handles, the crack between the cap and the bed, and the crack between the windows on the cap. for the chrome pieces including the wheels I just use a dry microfiber towel. Oh and I love how you open the door and water drips on the chrome running boards.
    I learned where to park at my house so no dew settles on my spotless ride. Dew results in water streaking down everywhere :grrrrrr:

Okay now I know why it takes me 2-2.5 hours to clean my truck...hehe

I do have a mini shop vac that I bought for the above mentioned purpose but haven't used it on this truck. I'll have to drag it out in hopes of reducing cleaning time, thanks for the reminder.

9. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

2-2.5 hours? ha I swear mine takes every bit of 6 hours if I do a full detail with buffing. If I use a quick wax then that reduces the time by about an hour or so. I usually just invite a friend over and have them wash their truck too so we make a day out of it. Sundays are the best, just hang out and bull**** all day while hanging around our rides :glasses: