1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cleaning the carpet

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by dewfamily, Mar 6, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I happen to own a Bissel Little Green (R) ProHeat Deep Cleaner (http://www.bissell.com/little-green-proheat-deep-cleaner/) ... which is a small, portable steam cleaner. When I bought my truck (used), it had coffee stains all over the carpet in the extended cab area ... as if someone had dumped 1-2 large coffee cups from the rear cupholder. A few hours with the steam cleaner and a day with the windows open to allow the carpet to dry ... and the carpet looked (and still looks) new.

Surreal
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use Spot Shot on hard to get off spots on the head liner and carpet. Then I use my house hold steam cleaner with the attachment and clean the head liner and carpet. I just be careful not to soak the head liner when I do it. When I bought my yukon there were yellow nicotine or smoke stains in the head liner. The process I used got them out and the smell went away also.
  3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

I will look into these options.. my only problem is I seriously don't have the time to accomplish a time consuming task like this with my 11 on 3 off work schedule (which almost always turns into a 23 on 2 off). My days off are spent rat-killing, paying bills, and lately dealing with my divorce. Think that I would be better off letting a detailing company take of it locally?
  4. TnT817

TnT817 New Member

The best stuff I've every used is John Deere Carpet Cleaner. It comes in a can and you get it from a John Deere dealer. If I remember correctly its 11 bucks a can. There isn't a stain that I couldn't get out with that stuff. That and there really isn't a real long dry time compared to a carpet cleaner. All you do is spray and blot it up with a towel, no scrubbing or anything.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It has been my experience that detailers rarely do a solid job on vehicles unless they are REALLY high end detailers that charge a pretty penny to do things like take Q-tips to the vents and the like. Then again, I detailed cars for extra cash in my youth (charging fair rates for very detailed work), so my expectations are likely high.

Having been through a divorce I'd say take a few hours with the truck to clean it ... using the right tool for the job. Use it to get your mind off the divorce for a few hours. It helps...
  6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

You're more than likely right on that one... taking my mind off of it would feel good haha
  7. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

You can hunt around and likely find a detailing job that will do a pretty good job, but it's not cheap. Additionally, I did the same thing as Surreal when I was younger and only fell into it because a friend's mom saw how clean my truck was at the time. (Plus she was hot, so I couldn't say no. Stupid teen hormones.) If you can make the time, it will serve as a great way to distract yourself and noone will take the care and time that you will. For them, something like qtipping the vents is just a hassle you pay extra for. For you it's part of being thorough on your vehicle. Just prioritize the time for yourself and get it done. I think you'll feel better afterward.