Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleaning the corrosion from these "chrome" wheel skins??

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by steved, Jun 25, 2013.

1. steved

steved Former Member

Washed the truck last night and found the chrome skins on the OE 17-inch wheels are corroded, center cap is fine...what is the choice of cleaner for them? They are chrome plated plastic correct? My normal approach would have been steel wool, but I wanted to make sure I don't damage them using that technique before I did that.
  2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I would usually say polish but they are only chrome painted plastic. Can you post a pic? Most of us would appreciate that.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your trucks a 2012, before doing anything to them you might try visiting the dealer, see if theres a TSB.
    Dealerships can still sometimes surprise you and handle items like this, but only if you let them know the problem exists.
  4. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Try aluminum foil, it is softer than the chrome so will not scratch it and it does a chemical reaction with the corrosion. I am currently doing this on a set of chrome rims and works great. Now I do wonder if it will work on chrome plated plastic, I don't know if that matters. But at least try it.

Also here is a link for the details that I found and helped me.

http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html
  5. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Not sure if GM changed them,but my 2006 chrome covers were metal. I removed them to have painted wheels and was surprised to see that they weren't made of plastic. Had quite a time getting them off and destroyed them doing so. All bent and mangled. They may clean up better than you think with traditional chrome polish.
  6. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

hi everyone
    now a days chrome wheel is very popular. chrome is relatively soft, it responds very well to polishing
    Frequent cleaning is the only way to keep your wheels safe.The soft, synthetic bristles loosen grime and brake dust without scratching the chrome.use non acidic cleanser to protect wheel finish.