1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleaning the engine bay (with photos)

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Bowtied, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

who doesnt like a nice clean engine bay?

My engine bay is dirty as hell, are there any tips or things to avoid when cleaning the engine bay on a 04 silverado or maybe all around? I think this will actually be my first engine bay clean attempt. i may not go "all out"

I plan on being careful not to get it on the engine per se' but the fluid holders plastic covers and similar like places are all grimey and need a deep cleaning.

Could one lightly spray with a power washer from a car wash to mist the engine? or should i just go at select parts with rags and a bucket of water? wondering how one can get it "clean" without getting it "show-room worthy" thats not necessary.

thx,
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I use a spray bottle and spray Simple Green on it. Let it sit for a few minutes and spray it down with a water hose. I do this about every other time I wash my truck. All this on a cool engine!!
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I've used GUNKS it works well. Just make sure the engine is cold because it is flammable also cover the alt and exposed electronics that you thing will get damaged. Then spray the bay with the GUNKS thoroughly you may need a few cans. Wait a few mins then hose down the bay.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use Simple Green, as well -- just as Alox does.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

6. James4012

James4012 Member

Hmmm...I stick got mud falling out of the bay from last year... perhaps it's time to clean it out as well.
  7. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I like GUNK as well, but it can hurt plastics if you let it sit too long...
    and whatever you do, DO NOT USE the GUNK engine shine detailing spray.... i tried it, and yeah, it shines nice- but then it turns sticky and cakes dust...
    so yeah, use gunk only if you doing bare metal, and NEVER use the gunk engine shine
  8. tlc0706

tlc0706 New Member

GUNK gives me a headache...Simple Green (don't let dry on Aluminum parts) or Purple Power (don't let it dry on anything) in diluted form works well. Spray and a couple of different sized brushes to agitate will make a big difference. The house toilet bowl brush is great for big areas(Just don't tell the wife what you are using it for). The garden hose on a spray setting will do the job. I cover the alternator & K&N filter with plastic. Power washer is OK for lower stuff.
  9. 87silver

87silver Member 1 Year

I used to swear by Gunk back in the old days, but since Simple Green came out, I wouldn't use anything else. Easier on the composite materials and non-flammable. I cover any mass electrical components with plastic throw away grocery store bags.
  10. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

People don't believe me, but I just spray the engine bay off at the car wash every once in a while with those power nozzles. I don't get too close to sensitive areas.

Been doing this for years.