GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Cleaning the engine bay (with photos)

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Bowtied, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Member

who doesnt like a nice clean engine bay?

My engine bay is dirty as hell, are there any tips or things to avoid when cleaning the engine bay on a 04 silverado or maybe all around? I think this will actually be my first engine bay clean attempt. i may not go "all out"

I plan on being careful not to get it on the engine per se' but the fluid holders plastic covers and similar like places are all grimey and need a deep cleaning.

Could one lightly spray with a power washer from a car wash to mist the engine? or should i just go at select parts with rags and a bucket of water? wondering how one can get it "clean" without getting it "show-room worthy" thats not necessary.

thx,
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

I use a spray bottle and spray Simple Green on it. Let it sit for a few minutes and spray it down with a water hose. I do this about every other time I wash my truck. All this on a cool engine!!
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

I've used GUNKS it works well. Just make sure the engine is cold because it is flammable also cover the alt and exposed electronics that you thing will get damaged. Then spray the bay with the GUNKS thoroughly you may need a few cans. Wait a few mins then hose down the bay.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I use Simple Green, as well -- just as Alox does.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

6. James4012

James4012 New Member

Hmmm...I stick got mud falling out of the bay from last year... perhaps it's time to clean it out as well.
  7. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

I like GUNK as well, but it can hurt plastics if you let it sit too long...
    and whatever you do, DO NOT USE the GUNK engine shine detailing spray.... i tried it, and yeah, it shines nice- but then it turns sticky and cakes dust...
    so yeah, use gunk only if you doing bare metal, and NEVER use the gunk engine shine
  8. tlc0706

tlc0706 New Member

GUNK gives me a headache...Simple Green (don't let dry on Aluminum parts) or Purple Power (don't let it dry on anything) in diluted form works well. Spray and a couple of different sized brushes to agitate will make a big difference. The house toilet bowl brush is great for big areas(Just don't tell the wife what you are using it for). The garden hose on a spray setting will do the job. I cover the alternator & K&N filter with plastic. Power washer is OK for lower stuff.
  9. 87silver

87silver New Member

I used to swear by Gunk back in the old days, but since Simple Green came out, I wouldn't use anything else. Easier on the composite materials and non-flammable. I cover any mass electrical components with plastic throw away grocery store bags.
  10. stchman

stchman New Member

People don't believe me, but I just spray the engine bay off at the car wash every once in a while with those power nozzles. I don't get too close to sensitive areas.

Been doing this for years.
  11. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I do the same thing. I just don't pull the trigger so it is not high pressure. Then after it dries I spray some of the cheap no touch brand tire foam on all of the rubber and plastic parts. It looks cleaner than it would have when it left the dealer.
  12. stchman

stchman New Member

I pull the trigger, just keep the nozzle ~2 feet away. People get into trouble when they hit the hard spray REAL close to electrical areas. My aim is to not get the engine 100% dust free, just blow the dirt off.
  13. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Caution when doing engine bay... Don't accidentally spray the underhood lamp it will explode. Just did that....
  14. K15 Blazer Guy

lol yeah I bend mine down and slightly close the hood... cause that will happen lol
    whats a good thing to "shine" under the hood with?....
    you cant use WD-40, the truck will smell like fish oil and dust will stick...
    you cant use "gunk" detail spray, cause it straight turns into glue with heat... I don't think armorall would help either....
    anything good for paint, plastics, and smells nice?
    there must be a product somewhere
  15. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

Note to self.... do not use gunk shine again.....
  16. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

Meh, I don't clean the engine bay. It's not a show truck so I don't care to put that much effort into it.
  17. K15 Blazer Guy

indeed. that sh!t sucks!
  18. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

HI everyone
    For cleaning engine bay use 'scrubbing bubbles'.it works great & easy for use. Spray on , wait a few, then hose off.. you will get good result. it is not a long procedure.it save your time.

19. 04GMC_len

04GMC_len New Member

My dad always tells me not to wash the engine bay out; but I think it's a good idea. It prevents it from rusting out real bad. I think Simple Green is a good product. Don't do this on a warm motor though.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  20. ajarman

ajarman New Member

Adam's Polishes products: All Purpose Cleaner sprayed on everything then used boar hairs brush to get the plastics and followed up with SVRT for that clean look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    That was 100k miles of never cleaning the engine bay.