Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cleaning the engine bay (with photos)

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Bowtied, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I do the same thing. I just don't pull the trigger so it is not high pressure. Then after it dries I spray some of the cheap no touch brand tire foam on all of the rubber and plastic parts. It looks cleaner than it would have when it left the dealer.

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I pull the trigger, just keep the nozzle ~2 feet away. People get into trouble when they hit the hard spray REAL close to electrical areas. My aim is to not get the engine 100% dust free, just blow the dirt off.

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Caution when doing engine bay... Don't accidentally spray the underhood lamp it will explode. Just did that....

4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

lol yeah I bend mine down and slightly close the hood... cause that will happen lol
    whats a good thing to "shine" under the hood with?....
    you cant use WD-40, the truck will smell like fish oil and dust will stick...
    you cant use "gunk" detail spray, cause it straight turns into glue with heat... I don't think armorall would help either....
    anything good for paint, plastics, and smells nice?
    there must be a product somewhere

5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Note to self.... do not use gunk shine again.....

6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Meh, I don't clean the engine bay. It's not a show truck so I don't care to put that much effort into it.

7. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

indeed. that sh!t sucks!

8. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

HI everyone
    For cleaning engine bay use 'scrubbing bubbles'.it works great & easy for use. Spray on , wait a few, then hose off.. you will get good result. it is not a long procedure.it save your time.

9. 04GMC_len

04GMC_len New Member

My dad always tells me not to wash the engine bay out; but I think it's a good idea. It prevents it from rusting out real bad. I think Simple Green is a good product. Don't do this on a warm motor though.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  10. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Adam's Polishes products: All Purpose Cleaner sprayed on everything then used boar hairs brush to get the plastics and followed up with SVRT for that clean look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    That was 100k miles of never cleaning the engine bay.