1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleaning the engine bay (with photos)

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Bowtied, Feb 24, 2013.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

Try to use the least amount of water as possible or you might be replacing your knock sensors. I had to the last time I cleaned my engine. Almost a inch of water in the rear sensor
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yep, Ive done that one.:grrrrrr:
  3. KyleZ71

I was impressed with NAPA's sub harness and how tight the fit was. But now I just use simple green or purple power and scrub with a tire brush. I will use wet rag to wipe it down after
  4. 04GMC_len

04GMC_len New Member

Wow! I'm impressed! Nice engine bay pics.
  5. KyleZ71

Chemical Guy's Black to Black works great on all gm plastics. Spray it on, or wipe it on and it dries without a greasy feel.
  6. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA New Member

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've found that a cold beer will help me to get motivated to clean out the engine bay. So, my tip is cold beer will help your engine bay to shine like new.
  8. Bowtied

Bowtied Member 100 Posts

Oh GOD how i wish i would've only KNOWN, you can add me to the list of people who have FUBARD their knock sensors cleaning the engine bay, although mine more out of shock/necessity as when my water pump broke it slew that caustic radiator fluid all over the paint and plastics and i've had a nightmare of a time dealing with this in the past (on motorbikes and such)

Anyways, odd thing, the really hot weather here in texas has seemed to dry it out and the CEL turned off and never returned...thank god.
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is that due to the engine bay "looking" cleaner after a few cold beers?
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

Purple power is your friend as long as you don't let it dry