Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Clearcoat on factory alloy wheels peeling...any ideas??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by thrasher, Nov 20, 2013.

1. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

I've noticed lately that the clear-coat on the wheels on my HD2500 are starting to peel along the outer edge, where the balancing weights go. Anyone ever have to deal with this?? Of course, a new set of aftermarket alloy wheels WOULD look **** (LOL!!), I'm trying to remedy this while spend as close to $0.00 as possible. Anyone know if Sharkskin will take care of this?? And how do you remove the old finish without blowing out your rotator cuff???

2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have seen where guys use paint stripper to remove the clear coat....not sure what that does to the tires though

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

first I would remove those wheel weights. my 2000 wheels still look good not perfect but still not peeling. I have the stick on weights. when I get my wheels / tires replaced I wash down the rims with soap and then a wipe down with paint thinner. then when they stick on these weights on the inner portion of the rim NO weights falling off..

the hammer on type always fall of on my vehicles... 1996 impala had those hammer weights and I got rid of those day one ..18 year old wheels still look good..

acid cleaners eat at the finish. I use dish washing soap mixed in a spray bottle at times to remove grime. then a quick hit with the car wash soap ..when the wheels dry in the winter I apply a silicone protection with the sponge wet with silicone.. you cannot spray the wheels as it will get on the rotor ...

wheels stay good and the grime will not stick...road salt is repelled..

to fix the damage now you could try a small tool to polish off the damaged aluminum and then clear coat...

with a bead blaster I used to strip down steel wheels paint / clear coat and this was real cheap and the scrap yard wheels looked new..

4. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Its pretty common, even on the machined face wheels the worst thing is that corrosion us inside thebead too and it will allow your tire pressure to to drop slowly. There is no cheap fix, as with anything you get what you pay for. You can repairit cheaper by doing as much as you can yourself but if you wanna keep the polshed wheels they with need re polished and some type of corrosion protection or you can have them painted or powder coated

5. j cat

my 1996 I have replaced the tires a few times. the silicone does reduce the corrosion in the bead area of the rim. I have seen some rims corroded in the rust belt from de-icing chemicals and the rims leak. my rims do not have this issue. prehaps the silicone also keeps the rubber soft to make a better seal. but I know it repels the water and corrosives.

the car wash should be avoided with the wheels being blasted ...

6. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Rust issues should be a lot less of a problem for me than you being in Massachusetts. And my truck has only ever been hand washed since I bought it.
    But still clear coat isn't meant for use on bare metals as it doesn't adhere very well especially on a polished surface. And whatever gm, ford whoever the factory is uses doesn't hold up to the abuse that roads and wheel weights etc put out.

7. j cat

the clear coat has been an issue with some owners. if the wheels were not properly cleaned or the finish this will happen. my wheels have not had this peel issue. I am the original owner.

the hammer on weights do eat at the wheel coating then the al touching the FE you get corrosion with the electrical currents and rock salts.

stick on no FE..

8. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I dont have a peeling issue on my 2011 factory z71 wheels, but I keep them clean and a good polish on them, I use meguiar's hot rims aluminum wheel cleaner, and nu finish polish. they look factory new.