1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clearing 35's

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by aspilios, May 22, 2010.

1. aspilios

aspilios New Member

Hello All!!
    I am new to this website as well as being a Chevrolet Owner!! I was formerly a Ford owner and Just bought a 2003 Silverado 1500 HD! I love it!!
    Anyways... I bought the truck and the kid who owned it before me cranked the torsion keys a bit (not sure how much yet) and there are 315/75/17's on the truck now (roughly 34 to 35). They rub a little bit in the front when backing up and what not. I would like to run the same size if not maybe a true 35, but i have heard bad things when cranking the torsion bars all the way. I have looked online and found a Truxxus 3" lift with blocks and torsion keys, and somebody said 2 inches is recommended. What i am asking is if i put this kit on my truck will i clear these tires now or will they still rub. And can i got bigger to a 35? And how do New Torsion keys work? do you still have the bolt to crank them up, and does cranking them really wear the front end wrong? Thanks for the help.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Alex
  2. aspilios

aspilios New Member

I looked at my truck this morning. The passenger side is cranked half way and it does not rub at all. And the Driver side is cranked all the way and it rubs on a bracket next to the parking brake line and the Washer Fluid Resivoir. Will a 2.5 inch Leveling kit with just torsion keys fix this problem? Is it bad to have one side cranked all the way with the other side only half way?
    Thanks
    Alex
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Definitely crank them evenly. That 3" kit will be good to fit the tires, but i'm not guaranteeing it doesnt rub a little still in the front so I would stay with the same size. I would never crank the torsion bars all the way up, much less go over 2-2.5" due to the bad ride and added stress on your front end. It makes it easier to go out of alignment and your ball joints won't last as long.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

clearing 35s

Does your truck have the factory wheels? If we had a customer with a 1500HD or 2500HD and wanted to run 35s with a 8" or wider wheel we would install a 4" suspension lift so they wouldnt rub when the wheels were cranked fully either left or right and with the suspesion compressed.
  5. aspilios

aspilios New Member

Thank you...
    Thanks for the help. I will level them out evenly. as for the 3 inch kit, will a leveling kit work just fine? I figured out that the front is still lower than the back so if i got just the torsion keys to level it out i dont think it will rub at all. The rims i have are offset 17 inch rims. The tires only rub just a little bit on the washer tank. What i am really asking is will this kit work? http://roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_99-06_leveling_kit.html, And will this kit work for an HD 1500 it doesnt specify but i figured some people on here would know. Thanks.
    Alex
  6. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Not sure if it will fit on an HD 1500, I would check with Rough Country with that. Give them a call and see
  7. TALL HD

TALL HD Rockstar

i'm doing this exact setup on my 03 1500 HD. 3" truxxx level kit with a 1" block for the rear. the tires ill be running are 35x12.5x18 nitto mud grapplers. the wheels will be 18" kmc xd series monsters with a 4.5 offset i think. i know ill get my front end aligned after the kit so the tires will wear evenly. when i get it all done ill be sure to let you know how it turns out. ill probly still have some rub but atleast not as much. cant wait for it either:party:
  8. TALL HD

TALL HD Rockstar

9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

clearing 35s

Off-Road Unlimited makes a kit for your truck that offers as a optiontional set of Bilstein shocks. Its more money than some others, but its a great kit.
  10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Why do you say "crank them evenly" ? The point of the adjustment bolt is to give you the ability to adjust each side (driver/passenger) to an equal height. Each torsion bar wil have slightly different properties therefore it is just about impossible that each bolt will be adjusted the same and the truck be even from side to side.