1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clearing DTC's?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MWright936, Nov 17, 2010.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have been battling some DTC's, the details of which are in this post:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?51341-EVAP-Purge-Valve-Issue

I was wondering if it could possibly be helpful to clear the codes using my programmer then see if they come back. I wasn't sure if that's how it worked or not. I didn't know if maybe you clear a code, it won't come back even if it is still an issue.

It's probably a stupid question, but I wanted to make sure before I tried it. Thanks for any help!
  2. MWright936

Bump Bump...
  3. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

I've had the small leak code before. It's actually WHY I ended up buying my own code reader. Anyway to answer your question, if you clear the code and the same problem arises the light WILL come back on if the same thing triggers it.

This summer I had a code pop up and the dealer told me it was my knock sensors and that they would need to be replaced. He suggested that he just clear the code and I drive around for a bit to see if the light comes back. So we did that, 2 hours later the light came on. I drove around for another day and a half and the light went out all by itself!

Then later on in the summer I get another check engine light. So not wanting to spend $70+ to get the dealer to scan it, I bought my own and it turned out to be EVAP System Leak detected (Small Leak). I cleared it and it hasn't been back since. Never bothered to try changing any parts.
  4. MWright936

Thanks for the tip!! I'll try clearing my codes and keep my fingers crossed. Actually, I may wait until my new gas cap comes in just to see. I might as well try it since I already ordered it.
  5. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

Good idea. Let us know what happens!