Clicking (flasher like) sound from my 99 Chevy steering column

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Texxxan, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Texxxan

Texxxan New Member

I have a 1999 Chevy Ext cab with a 5.3 and automatic. Its making a clicking noise, almost like the sound of my four way flashers but louder and faster. I'm not sure what it is. It hasn't affected the way it runs that I have noticed. My emergency brake light and the ABS light usually come on after driving it for a few miles or sometimes instantly and sometimes won't come on during a short trip. Has anyone experienced this with their Chevy and if so how did you repair it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i would first check your fuses make sure none are blow. also are your brakes feeling weird or abnormal. also is you parking brake on.

3. Texxxan

Texxxan New Member

All my fuses check out good. My emergency brake is not on and the brakes work just fine. I recently replaced all the pads thinking this would work. I also replaced both wheel barings last month and still nothing. I'm not sure if the clicking sound I hear is connected with the warning lights that remain on. I feel like it may be some sort of electrical problem but I'm not sure.

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i would check if your flashers work and it sounds like it is an electrical fault. or your ABS might have gone out whch explains why the brake lights are on and the ABS warning light is on.

5. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I had a problem very similar to this with my 2005. Oddly enough, it was a relay causing the noise. Replaced it and no more clicking. Could be a wiring problem inside the steering column too considering your e-brake and ABS lights are coming on.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  6. Texxxan

Texxxan New Member

Thanks Untouchable. Do you remember what relay you replaced and its location?

7. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Don't quote me on this because it's been a few years since I did it, but I think it was a parking lamp relay...but that wouldn't explain the issue with your ABS indicator coming on.

8. Texxxan

Texxxan New Member

That's a great place to start. Thank you.

9. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I was going to suggest checking your relays as well. Definitely sounds like that is your issue.

10. Texxxan

Texxxan New Member

Where about are the relays located?