clicking sound

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jesus2324, May 11, 2012.

1. jesus2324

jesus2324 New Member

when i turn my car on and push the levels for the hot and cold air, either all the way to the top for hot, or the way to the bottom for cold i can hear a clicking sound, but as soon as i move the levels to the center the clicking noise goes away, does anyone know what it could possibly be..

2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

What is the year , model and other pertinent information.?

3. jesus2324

jesus2324 New Member

it an Ls chevy sliverado 2005 2wd

4. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

It's probably the temp door motor making that noise. Try moving just one side and see which side is making the noise. Does it switch from hot to cold okay? If so, you can probably get by for a while by not moving the levers to the extremes. Otherwise, you'll need a new actuator motor (or both).
    Good Luck and God Bless

5. BowTieFan1

BowTieFan1 Member

I have a clicking noise in mine too. Mine does it when the left temperature control is all the way down. TSB says the software needs to be upgraded. It is the actuater doors "hunting" and that why you hear the clicking noise. Yours may be the same problem.
    I just have not gotten around to taking mine to the dealer to get the software upgraded yet.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 04 does this, as well. It's the driver's side on mine. Got a link to that TSB? I ask because I am curious about the software upgrade of which you speak. (Actuator replacements are easy enough on the driver's side; I know the passenger side is a different issue, as I just did that.)

7. BowTieFan1

BowTieFan1 Member

[TABLE="class: table"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: module_right_title"][TABLE="class: table"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: right_tleft"][/TD]
    [TD="class: right_tspacer"]A/C - Ticking Noise From Instrument Panel/DTC's Set[/TD]
    [TD="class: right_tright"] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Bulletin No.: 06-01-38-003
    Date: April 27, 2006
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Intermittent Ticking Noise from I/P, Poor A/C Performance, HVAC DTCs B0229, B0414, B0424, B3770 (Reprogram HVAC Control Module) Models:
    2004-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
    2004-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2004-2006 GMC Sierra Models, Yukon Models with Air Conditioning (RPOs CJ2, CJ3)
    Condition
    Some customers may comment on one or more of the following concerns:
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]^[/TD]
    [TD]Intermittent ticking/clicking noise from the instrument panel. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]^[/TD]
    [TD]Recirculation mode does not work or Air Conditioning (A/C) system performance is poor during high ambient temperatures. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]^[/TD]
    [TD]Unable to control the driver side temperature. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]^[/TD]
    [TD]Unable to control the passenger side temperature. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]^[/TD]
    [TD]Unable to change the front system modes. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) actuators that may hunt for the correct commanded position. This cycling may cause a clicking or ticking noise.
    An overtravel of the HVAC system control doors may cause one or more of the concerns listed above. If an overtravel occurs, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set, and the door will go to a preset default position. When a system door defaults, that door will stay at the default position until the DTC is cleared. After the DTC is cleared, the door will operate properly until the overtravel condition re-occurs.

[​IMG]

The table lists the HVAC system doors and the DTC associated with it.
    Correction
    Technicians are to perform the normal diagnostic procedures in SI for these concerns. If diagnostics show that the HVAC system door(s) travel below 5 counts (out of the lower range) or above 250 counts (out of the upper range), then update the software calibrations in the HVAC control module. The new calibrations were made available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update version 2.5, which was broadcast to dealers in February 2006.
    The new calibrations have been updated to compensate for the actuator overtravel condition, the actuator hunting and the ticking/clicking noises. The new calibrations effectively eliminate the codes listed above, the default position of the doors associated with the DTCs and opens up the feedback position value. The new calibrations should not be used unless the vehicle has one or more of the customer concerns listed above or a DTC listed above has been set. The new calibrations will not correct any other DTC or NC system performance concern.
    Warranty Information

[​IMG]

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thanks! :shocked: