Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

climate control LED

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by reggiecab2000, Jan 25, 2011.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

sorry i had such a long delay guys. i finished this back in december but been real busy lately. Heres my climate control blue LED swap. all the soldering wasnt too bad i used flat topped LED's for a wider viewing angle but as you can see it aint perfect, im fine with the way it looks in person it aint too bad, but no red in the temperature section. if i have the time ill go in to see what i can do to pop a red LED in there. And on the far right i did throw in a 5th led under the top middle of the directional flow knob, the eventual plan would be to do the same to the other two knobs but until then im in no rush, but heres the pic just so yall can see the product :)

IMAG0361.jpg

2. Brad_'06_Silverado

Brad_'06_Silverado New Member

i did the same thing. yours looks good tho.
    heres mine
    33916_10150288340365203_847785202_14940359_4490173_n.jpg
    I have white led's behind the climate sliders. the orange led's that were in the a/c an the other two buttons are now white.

3. OneWheelWonder

OneWheelWonder Rockstar

Ive been thinking about doing something like this myself. My passenger side climate control bulb went out and was wanting to fix it anyways so...where did you guys find your L.E.D.'s at?

Thanks,

4. reggiecab2000

hey, nice job brad. that looks real good. that white almost looks blue actually, which is neat in my opinion.
    and one wheel wonder i ordered mine at superbrightleds.com they are really an awesome site to shop.

5. OneWheelWonder

OneWheelWonder Rockstar

Yup the site is pretty sweet not gonna lie....i believe ill be ordering a hand full of lights here soon. which did you guys go with 3mm? 5mm? I think Im gonna go with red for the cluster and temp controls. (i just installed power windows and the switches already have red lights in them) and If im thinking correctly the wider the viewing angle the better? up to about 120deg anyways.

6. Brad_'06_Silverado

Brad_'06_Silverado New Member

onewheelwonder, i used 5mm in mine, 3mm will also work well. an yes the wider the view angle the better, for light distribution so you limit the dark spots in the faceplate when lit.

7. OneWheelWonder

OneWheelWonder Rockstar

Brad, Thanks for the info!! One last question...did it require a resistor on all the lights?

8. reggiecab2000

yeah i used 5 mm for all my cluster and 3 mm for the bottom 3 lights. and yes they all require resistors. If i could find a way to get smd leds in there it would really even out the light output but most flap topped leds have around a 120 degree viewing angle. I hear there is an led with basically an inverted cone design that makes the led viewing angle even wider but they dont seem to be as common, you might look into those. (the wider the viewing angle the better)

Did you install power windows yourself?

9. OneWheelWonder

OneWheelWonder Rockstar

Yes I did it last weekend. Surprisingly easy to do...I took about 50 pictures while doing the install. Im doing the power locks tomorrow. (Also taking a bunch of pictures. Im going to do a full fledged write up when Im finished and will let everyone see the outcome. Ill also attach part numbers (where i got my parts) and prices if anyone is interested.

10. reggiecab2000

well i am very interested, i would love to see that thread actually. i gotta 2000 silverado so itll be a little different. but im manual windows and doors as well. how much did the power windows install damage your wallet?