1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clink/Clunk Sound

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Tdaz250, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey everyone. My truck makes this weird clunk sound whenever i go over speed bumps. It sounds like its coming from the back and it only makes the sound when i go over things with the back tires. Its just starting to worry me every time i hear it, sounds like something is loose and i dont want to find out the hard way one day what it is. Any help as to what it could be is greatly appreciated :money:
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

could be so many things, your spare tire could be loose, exhaust bracket/hanger broken, yor license plate could be missing a few screws and clankin around. could be a dosy bracket has broken that supprts the quarterpanels. All I can say is just go back there and start hitting thins I am thinking something is just loose
  3. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have a trailer hitch? I keep mine on all the time and when I go over bumps, sometimes I can hear the hitch mount move in the receiver, making a clunking noise.
  4. Tdaz250

No i dont have a hitch in right now, i have the lock that locks the hitch in on there but im pretty sure thats not it. Could it be something with the leaf springs/shocks?
  5. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

might sound dumb, but make sure their is nothing in the bed that could bounce, i forgot about some tie down straps that were their, every time i hit a speed bump the bounced off the bead, and came back down.
  6. Tdaz250

I dont really leave anything in the bed so i doubt thats the problem...thanks for the input though.
  7. Tdaz250

Bump

Bump Bump Bump
  8. willbradfan

willbradfan Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a clink/clunk sound as well on my truck and finally took it to the dealership and found out that it was a C-clamp on the rear leaf springs that was loose, i didn't replace as the dealer said its nothing to worry about.