GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

clogged air filter?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Aug 30, 2011.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

i recently cleaned (recharged) my k&n air filter and i cleaned the crap out of it, there was no dirt coming out after applying the spray treatment, followed all instructions as directed.
    my end result however is not what i expected, the filter is supposed to be that pinkish red color, but mine was still a darkish maroon purple

Question:

is there an easy way to check if your air filter is being slightly restricted even in the smallest amount???
    thanks
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

I've had to many K&N's to remember and I've never been able to get mine to look like the factory after cleaning. I always let mine sit on a paper towel after oiling for at least an hour in case I've over oiled it.
  3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

any tips or tests you know to check if i have max flow through the filter?
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

The way it is made even while dirty it will flow more air then a Clean Factory Air filter. When reoiling it just a lite coat is all that is needed...
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Ok I got this back from my friend at K&N today...

Post this ….

The filters will never look how they did out of the box. Once exposed to “road elements” the cotton gauze will start capturing dirt particles. It is similar to putting oil on a white T-shirt and rolling the T-shirt around in dirt (it’s never going to be white again). In regards to “air flow”, as long as you add the recommended amount of oil to the filter it will not be clogged. All you have to do is locate the part number that’s installed, go to our website and select Search For Product. The reoil amount will be located on the left side of the page.

On a side note: Keep in mind the stock replacement filters are recommended to be serviced every 50,000 and the cone filters every 100,000. A visual inspection is recommended every 30,000. The only time you want to service the filters is when the dirt meets or exceeds the wire screen mesh on the outside of the filter.

Go ahead and post the above if you could, thanks Glenn!
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

thanks! that was really helpful :)
    and it also makes sense too, im pretty sure im getting good airflow i was just wanting to make sure
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

No Problem.....
  8. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member

Thanks for the info!