1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

clunk from transmission on shifts from p,n,r,d.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by supahbeast, May 9, 2013.

1. supahbeast

supahbeast New Member

hi all. i have a 96 tahoe, 2 dr. its 4x4 and has a 3 inch body lift. its my frist chevy truck, and its top notch besides the tranny issue. now ive checked the fluid and its all good. i have a gm tech2 scanner at my work and scanned it and it has no codes whatsoever for anything. ive scanned it with genesis, snap on solus, and a launch scanner as wel and i have no dtcs set and beginning to wonder if im in for a rebuild soon. now the main problem:
    i crank it up, shift from park to reverese and it makes a noise like you just hit the driveshaft with a hammer..same thing for reverse to drive and so forth. also note that while driving it that if i take my foot off the gas, and tap the gas again it makes the noise again....i have not removed the pan or changed the fluid yet in it, but most likely will do so this weekend. but its just got me stumped and if anyone has had this problem before id like to know a solution before i remove it and tear in to it...thanks.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds a lot like either bad u joints or the slip joint may need some attention.
    Normally its trucks that have issues with the slip joint but I have seen the problem on tahoes and suburbans.
    Check the u joints for integrity, if they check out good then you might want to try packing the slip joint with grease.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The clunk from any position to reverse is normal, kinda, it is just an actuator in the tranny switching in to the reverse gear set. My tranny does the same thing and has be fully flushed and inspected. The clunk while getting on the gas may be the tranny quickly shifting because it was in the wrong gear or the slip joint as [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION] mentioned.