1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

clunk sound heard under truck when braking

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by humnbass, Dec 21, 2009.

1. humnbass

humnbass New Member

I have a 94 1500 2wd suburban. When I'm driving along and step on the breaks in a normal fashion I hear a clunk under the truck as if something is sliding forward. The motor mounts are fine so it's not that. I have no idea what it could be. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

thanks.

2. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

I have alot of noises like that on my 97 1500 4x4, ive heard to check the leaf springs, ujoints, and the yoke but nothing for sure yet. its pretty cheap to have your suspension inspected, you might wnt to start there after you look around.

3. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I don't think what you're hearing is somthing sliding forward BUT moving back! like the upper or lower control arm. if the steering linkage all feels tight and you don't have a WASTED tie rod end i would check control arm bushings (its usually the bushing ground up into shreds and hanging out between arm and mount)

4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I'd say a combp of both suggestions before me... I had that sound on my '95 tahoe and it was the yokes on the drive shaft... I also had the same noise with my '91 Z71 pick-up but it was the sispension...

5. fairyandtroll

fairyandtroll New Member

Could it be your spare tire is little loose causing it to move around a bit?

6. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

If u feel it in the break pedal, i just had that , then its your front break lines ( the rubber on the inside ) of them colapst. And then they are holding the press for a sec untill they let the break shoes lose ...thats the noise , when they pop lose !!!!!!

I got some SS braided lines know, so this can never happen again !