1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clunk sound

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Ruby Red, May 29, 2013.

1. Ruby Red

Ruby Red New Member

I have a 2009 Silverado with 26k miles. When I pull up to a stop and sit for awhile I get a clunk sound and it feels as if someone has hit me from behind. I'm guessing it is coming from the transmission--maybe the torque converter down shifting?? Does anyone else have this problem, if so-what did you do to correct it?? Sometimes it happens right away and sometimes it happens a few minutes after sitting for a red light. Any help out there?? Thanks!
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

this is a VERY popular topic with our trucks, use the search feature...

it is your slip-yoke, you must apply some lubricant to it
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had this occur when my truck was under warranty , they replaced the transfer case fluid and the clunk disappeared for about 40,ooo mi so I replaced this transfer case fluid again and no clunk.

service manager stated it is because the fluid looses it lubricating abilities and the drive shaft will not slide when first starting to move at a stop like a light//stop sign ...I had it do it mostly when it was cold out at first.
  4. Ruby Red

Ruby Red New Member

Thanks for the help! Yes, it was the slip-yoke. I dropped the drive shaft, lubed the splines on the yoke, put it back together--clunk gone for now!! Thanks again.
  5. j cat

I would check the transfercase fluid to be a nice blue color. if its getting a grayish color replace this fluid.

most replace this fluid in work trucks every 40,ooo mi. or sooner like plowing etc..
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  6. Ruby Red

Ruby Red New Member

good advice, but mine is two wheel drive!
  7. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You need a nickel plated slip yoke, put one on mine almost 4 yrs ago and not probs since.
  8. j cat

since it is 2wd with what you did should take care of it,...
  9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I would think so, the plating allows it to move easier so it shouldnt matter if its going into a tail housing of a transmission or a transfer case.
  10. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Any idea of the cost of the part? Did you install it yourself or have a mechanic do it? Thanks