1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clunk!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by russski1, Jun 30, 2008.

1. russski1

russski1 New Member

Hey all... I'm new here and joined because I have a question....

I own a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 stepside. I bought it with 35k miles on it and it has 178k on it now. I have enjoyed my truck through the years...

But ever since I bought it, I have gotten a sort of a "Clunk" sound on the start up after a short time of stopping while in gear.

I noticed it right off and took it to the dealer - they said all GM trucks to that - There hasn't been any problems with the performance.....

It's just a sound I don't like hearing and wondered if it is common with this model year or whatever?

I have replaced both drive shafts. I keep good brakes on her and good tires.....

I would appreciate any help you all might be able provide.

Thanks!

Russ
  2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

have you checked to see if the is play in the diff? or in the tranny? a shaft is only part of the line to be looked at. maybe a rear brake hanging up and releasing when you take off? mine does not make any noises....mike
  3. DRMZ28

DRMZ28 Member

Does it cluck when it downshifts..or maybe upshifts sometimes? its common with the silverado, surburban and tahoe.
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

welcome to the site russ! I hope you find the answer to your question.
  5. russski1

russski1 New Member

No, Mostly when accelerating from a stop. Thanks for your interest!
  6. russski1

russski1 New Member

Haven't checked the tranny - but both shafts have been replaced. Thanks for your input!
  7. russski1

russski1 New Member

Thanks for your welcome.... Dwill!
  8. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I know that a few years back a friend of mine had the "factory rep." out to check out the "clunk" in his '96 Chevy. Bottom line was that there is a certain amount of "slack" in the splines where the drive shaft goes into the tranny. Usually the "clunk" is when the truck has been stopped and when it accelerates the slack is taken up making the "clunk". The fix was to "pack" water proof grease in the splines to soften the clunk. It usually works until the grease goes away. Then you start over again. Hope this helps!
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As mentioned pack the rear shaft splines with grease and see if this solves the problem.
    Another thing to look at is axle wrap, what size tires are you running? With 178k on those rear springs I'm willing to bet they sag some, Chevy's have an issue with the rear springs wrapping up under take-off load because their so long (63"), when the springs get worn the problem gets worse. A quick fix is to put on helper springs, or Add A Leafs, the best fix is to replace the rear springs.