1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

clunking 4x4 and clogged throttle body

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by dacraig, Dec 11, 2007.

1. dacraig

dacraig New Member

Hi there, I have a 2003 Envoy SLE, 4x4, 4.2L

#1 - I was reading on a previous post about people having a clogged throttle body and how I can clean it myself for about $15 and 45 minutes of time...can anyone direct me to a site on how to do this, or give me directions on this? Thanks...

#2 - When I engage my 4x4 and i turn the steering wheel either way while driving I get a "clunking" sound happening. It seemed to only happen when i was backing up, but now it looks like it happens while in drive as well...I hardly ever need to use my 4x4, but i am worried this might be a BIG problem and would like to know if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks for your help!
    DC
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

#2: Under what road conditions did you have it in 4H? On dry pavement (or whenever traction is good), the drivetrain is going to complain in 4H. This is because the front and rear are locked together so they can't spin at different speeds. But, when turning, the front needs to spin faster than the rear. Under low traction conditions, the tires can slip easily to relieve the tension. If the tires can't readily slip, then you get hopping, groaning, clunking, and breaking.
  3. dacraig

dacraig New Member

thanks, i guess i have only tried it when i needed 4x4...so i'll try it today in a clear parking lot and see if it's the same on dry surfaces.
  4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Completely agree with that. I was headed into a hay field a few months back to do some fence repairs and accidentally, stupidly put the truck in 4h as I was turning into the field from dry pavement.

If this continues to happen in slippery conditions I would have it checked out. It could be a bad CV joint.

It is hard to tell if they are bad unless they have a ripped boot. But that noise/clunk you speak of is one of the symptoms of a CV joint that is on its way out. Only if it does it in slippery conditions.
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am a CV joint connousieur. I've broken both of the CVs on my suburban over the course of 2 weeks. You will notice a clunking when turning and occasionally a twitch in the wheel. When you put it in 4x4 it usually gets worse.
  6. dacraig

dacraig New Member

Tyanks a lot, I'll check into it...do you know of any good online stores with lower cost CV joints?