Clunking Noise....HELP!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 5.3silverado, Nov 11, 2010.

1. 5.3silverado

5.3silverado Rockstar

Everytime I Hit A Bump On The Road Or A Speed Bump...ETC. ..
    I Hear A Clunking Noise Coming From The Right Side Tire/Suspension Area Underneath.
    My Truck Is A 2005 Silverado Single Cab LS With A 5.3L

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
    Any Help Is Appreciated..
    Thanks In Advanced.

2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

just from my past experiences here are a things to look for : broken nut----bolt moves when frame lifts, broken shock mount, stiff shock(raise er' up and let the shock drop and give er' a shot of penetrating fluid), or could even be loose shackle bolt (you will only find the clunk underneath if you raise the rear end and start moving things around or beating with a rubber mallet.) a Tech at a garage will probably find it, but at a cost !!!!---just some suggestions !!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

---forgot to mention to check to see if the rubber muffler hanger has broke or dislodged---this is a very easy and in-expensive repair

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

......The below is a Information may or may Not be Help.....It is a G.M. SERVICE BULLETIN....#PIT3401D.......Regarding: Squeak/Creak Noise,

SERVICE INFORMATION: 2002 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Bulletins By Category | Technical | Document ID: 2270255
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PIT3401D: Squeak Or Creak Noise From Under-body Over Bumps - keywords rear suspension body turn - (Apr 29, 2009)

SUBJECT: Squeak Or Creak Noise From Under-body Over Bumps

MODELS: 1999-2009 Chevrolet Silverado, Silverado Classic

1999-2009 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic

.....REGULAR CAB ONLY.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

CONDITION/CONCERN:
    Squeak or creak noise from the underbody over bumps. The body mounting cable, located at each rear cab body mounts, may be creating the noise, shown below.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS:
    Check to ensure that the cable retaining bolts are tight. If tight, remove the cable from the vehicle and lubricate the cable eyelets and bolt shoulders with GM Super Lube 12346241 (in Canada, 10953474). Reinstall and torque bolts to specifications.

FASTENTER TIGHTENING SPECIFICATIONS:
    Silverado/Sierra Classic Body tighten both bolts to 85 Nm (62 ft lbs)

Silverado/Sierra New Body Style tighten body side bolt to 100 Nm (73 ft lbs)

Silverado/Sierra New Body Style tighten frame side bolt to 85 Nm (62 ft lbs)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

5.3 Silver...You never do indicate if this clunk is in the front or the rear. You only say it is on the right side. It would help to narrow this down if you could tell us f or r, as there are many different issues between the front & the rear suspension.

Boy that is one sweet looking truck!!!!:great:

5. 5.3silverado

5.3silverado Rockstar

your (STEPHAN) right sorry, the mysterious clunking noise comes from the front right side by the wheel or underneath in that area. .

thanks i appreciate the help. .

6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

OK.. well there are many more things in the front to check for, than there are in the back. Check the things that Hobie, & Heartbeat talked about, & if it is not one of those then you must start looking around. Grab ahold of things & try and shake them. It could be something as simple as a sway bar bracket, or as difficult as a wound up suspension component. Many times they can be found just by looking & many more times by checking their mounting & shaking them to see if they are secure or not. If you still don't find anything, then jack it up & grab the tire by the top & bottom & see if there is any play. Do the same by grabbing the sides of the tire & see if it makes any noise. You may even be able to duplicate the clunk when you jack it up. Watch the suspension as you jack it up & as you let it down. You may be able to see what is not right. If it doesn't make the noise when you jack it under the suspension, then try jacking it up with the frame. This will allow the rf suspension to drop fully, & this may produce the clunk. When you do find it you may need a mechanic to fix it but most clunks & such can be identified by the owners with just a little detective work. You might also have someone drive it over a speed bump while you stand outside & see exactly where it is comeing from. If you try all these things & don't find it, then it is time to take it to a mechanic.

7. 5.3silverado

5.3silverado Rockstar

Thanks for Your input guys, the problem is solved, it was the top shock hanger the bushing was pretty much shot, all i did was install new ones and i was done!! THANKS ALOT !

8. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

Check the bushings that mount the torsion bar cross member. I had them go & they made tons of noise till I replaced them.