Clunking noise what is it????

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by My98Suburban, Dec 25, 2011.

1. My98Suburban

My98Suburban Member

Yesterday driving up to my Dads on the highway going into OD i heard clunk then back down it clunked like the convertor maybe locking up??? then on the way home it didnt do it but when i was turning the wheel it seemed to like skip...lock up and then turn easy again..I then was thinking could the 4wd be engaging he switch doesnt light up and sometimes if i hit the switch i see the light go on but it doesnt stay lite...It was relly weird...do you think it was engaging as i was driving??? Could i dis-connect the 4wd actuator to see if the truck makes the noise again and the steering doesnt do that again???Any help would be great!!!! Thanks....

2. wildmans92

wildmans92 Member

It really sounds like the 4wd is kicking in. and if the switch isnt lighting up it could be in 4wd or the switch could be the culprit shifting it without you knowing, id strongly suspect the switch as i've replaced a few. but it could be the actuator too, but, the switch is cheaper.

3. My98Suburban

My98Suburban Member

Ok thats what i was thinking...Can i unplug the actuator to see if that stops the problem???...like testing my theory? Where can i get a switch is it hard to replace???

4. wildmans92

wildmans92 Member

You can definitely unplug it, that will proves if its in or out, but if it is the switch the transfer case will still be in gear. As for the switch i believe dorman makes a suitable replacement that any parts store should have.

5. My98Suburban

My98Suburban Member

Im confussed if i unplug the actuator the 4wd will still be in?...if its in 2wd and i unplug it it will be in 2wd but if its stuck in 4wd and i unplug it then its stuck that way?.is that what your saying???? I think its in 2wd i think...but the steering wheel did feel funky tho,like it was in 4wd on dry pavement....

6. wildmans92

wildmans92 Member

What i meant was if the switch i s the problem the transfer case will still be in gear, the only real way for you to maybe see is to get both axles on stands unplug and run it if your front drive shaft spins its stuck in 4 if it doesnt plug it back in run it and listen if it locks in then your actuator is locking when its not supposed to if that makes any sense.

7. My98Suburban

My98Suburban Member

Ok so if its in 2wd and i unplug it i should be ok?...or it stll will switch into 4wd even tho the actuator is unplugged? ...I think maybe i should get a new switch since this one lights only when i press it hard whn i let go the light goes out....

8. wildmans92

wildmans92 Member

Thats what has me thinking even the truck doesnt know where the 4 wheel drive is thats where i would start if the switch is that way already.

9. JZ_745

JZ_745 New Member

If none of that works....check the lower ball joints.....

JZ