1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clunking noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by helomech09, Jul 28, 2009.

1. helomech09

helomech09 New Member

I'm having an issue with my 09 silverado when I let off the gas and coast I'm o.k. But when I reapply the gas there's a loud clunking noise any ideas
  2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It could be slack in the drive shaft being taken up when you reapply the gas. I've never heard of it in a truck, but I know I've had that problem with certain sports cars before.
  3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

awfully new for u joints to go bad. maybe wanna check them just in case.
  4. helomech09

helomech09 New Member

Yeah im hoping it's not major it just seems like it's not keeping positive connection between the tranny and the rear end
  5. zachh1020

zachh1020 Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like EXACTLY what happened to my 2003 Silverado. It was U-Joints on mine. Your's is awful new to have that problem. Factory Defect Maybe. Check with the dealership and your warranty.
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

warranty? sounds like slap in the drive line probably the spline shaft on the rear drive shaft
  7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

thats the joint on your driveshaft closing up the gap. it makes a clunk. both of my trucks do and have done that. it's normal as far as i know
  8. spottweld

spottweld New Member

sounds like u joints to me the problem will get steadily worse and the noise can either come from behind the tranny or back by the rear
  9. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

take it back to the dealers i assume you still have warranty since its an 09?
  10. lgrppup

lgrppup New Member

Hey...I have an 08 Sierra that has the same issue. Also, When taking off, especially if I am turning and taking off(ie intersections) it seems as if the truck is slipping somehow. The engine goes, but the tires seem to take a lil bit to "kick in". Def need to take it to the dealer, but I will probably get the "we couldn't reproduce the problem" response. The dealer I have been working with, unfortunately decided not to sign on with the new GM and shut their doors...too bad.