1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clunking Noise

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 4dafunofit, Oct 20, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 4dafunofit

4dafunofit New Member

Hey everybody lookin for some advice. When I am coasting down the road and re apply pressure to the accelerator I Hear a clunk, almost as if there is play some where. I was thinking this may be my U joints but im not sure. Any ideas?

thanks
  2. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Easy way to tell if it's your U joints, go under your truck, grab your drive shaft and go to town, if there is any give. replace them. If no give, take a big screw driver and wedge it in there and see if there is any give, front and rear U-joints. They're only $20, better be safe then sorry, its worth the $80, instead of the $200 tow to the shop because you bust a U-joint in the middle of the street.
  3. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ditto to what Ippielb said, & while you're under there be sure and check the rear trans mount. They are known for coming loose and clunking every time you get on, or off the gas.
  4. 4dafunofit

4dafunofit New Member

I did check for with just my hands and there was no give , but I will try with the scewdriver. Will also check the trans mount. Thanks for the help
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Year make, and model will help a bit as well since some years the backlash on the rear differential gears was higher than others so it would allow for a clunk like you are describing.
  6. 4dafunofit

4dafunofit New Member

Its a 2004 Z71 Chevy Silverado 72,000 miles 5.3