Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Clunking while turning/accelerating in 4wd

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by getsome, Jan 18, 2012.

1. getsome

getsome New Member

Hello everyone, hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I am having with my truck. It is a 2003 2500hd 6.0l which I picked up a couple of months ago. Now that the snow is finally here, I have been using my 4wd but have been having some weird issues. When I accelerate in any sort of quick fashion (not necessarily hard), or when I am turning, I get a loud and violent clunking noise and feel from my front end. This doesnt happen all the time, nor does it happen in 2wd. Sometimes it clunks on the passenger side, other times I can feel it under my feet on the drivers side. The previous owner said he had to have the transfer case rebuilt last winter because it went out on him, I am hoping my transfer case isnt shot. I have been told that it could be the u-joints? Others have said that its just the gears locking/unlocking?

I am a newbie to the 4x4 world as I have only owned cars up until this truck. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I think it sounds like normal 4WD characteristics. Remember with 4WD your front wheels are trying to pull you one way and the rear tires trying to push you another way. I know in the winter when I try to turn up the driveway of my house, the front end will pop like crazy but its normal.

3. getsome

getsome New Member

Thanks for the reply, if thats normal then I will ignore it

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

if its happening in 4wd and on dry pavement the front could be binding (when turning) and that is normal, but you shouldnt be in 4wd at that point as its not great for the front end. if it is happening in a straight line could be something else

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would say its normal, but this is also a u-joint possibility, if you are mechanically inclined u joints are easy to do and pretty cheap. It could be just as easy as lay off the gas while in 4wd, ease in ease out while in 4wd. Not calling you an idiot it just comes with the nature of being a first time truck owner especially a 4wd drive first timer.

6. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

If it clunks under hard acceleration in four wheel drive going straight ahead it could be a stretched transfer case chain.