1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cluster or ignition switch.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by patriot8midga, Oct 15, 2013.

1. patriot8midga

patriot8midga New Member

I have an 04 2500 that the instrument cluster has started acting up on. it will work sometimes [no sticking gauges] and other times all the gauges will be dead. Ive tinkered with it and they will seem to work fine and then when I turn the key back on, NOTHING. I'm pretty sure its not the stepper motors because, when they work they work fine. Could it be the ignition switch? I don't want to send the cluster off for repair and that not be the problem. thanks.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

my experience is that it is the cluster. Mine would work sometimes and then other times the gauges would be all out of whack.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It sounds like the internal power supply for your cluster is on it's way out. The exact same thing happened to my cousins 04 yukon denali. He sent it out to a place in Texas and they did a complete rebuild (stepper motors, bulbs, and power supply) for $125
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

this is a 100 % failure rate with your vintage vehicle that the dash cluster is the problem. the dash has electronic circuits in it as well as the stepper gauge motor indicators...

I would find an internet repair for cheap cost repair..
  5. Scott_03silverado

Scott_03silverado New Member

my 03 silverado has the same problem. i have looked at rockauto.com for replacements and found some around 160.
  6. Pikey

Then your "new" cluster is not programmed with the correct mileage or engine hours. That raises all sorts of red flags when you try to sell it. In my opinion a rebuild is the way to go. Unless you plan on upgrading to one from a SS with a trans temp gauge
  7. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the repair people will set the odometer as it was so you have no mileage issues with the law. when you install a new or different dash cluster then you would have to file a report to the local vehicle registry to make it proper under the laws about mileage with vehicles..
  8. Scott_03silverado

Scott_03silverado New Member

question on the SS one w the trans temp gauge... is there anything special you have to do to get the trans temp gauge to work or can you just plug it in and go?

Thanks
  9. Pikey

plug and go!
  10. I didn't think you could buy one new...I think they have to be sent off and reconditioned so the mileage stays the same...