1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cluster problem or speed sensor Avalanche 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by jorge995, Jan 7, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jorge995

jorge995 New Member

Hello guys im new to this forum and I think is great I have a 2004 2wd avalanche 1500 daily driver and today I was in the expressway about 60 mph and all of a sudden speedometer went from 60 to 10 mph and I was hoping someone could point in the right direction from where to start checking

thanks in advance
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

First off welcome.... Is there anything else not working OR doing strange things?
  3. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member 100 Posts

did it stay at 10 the whole time or when you went slower the needle dropped and raised as you sped up? if the needle still moves in corrispondince with your speed then its 99% sure its a cluster problem. very common with that year.
  4. jorge995

jorge995 New Member

Enkeiavalanche cluster is not doing anything weird just the speedometer was acting up

a.graham52 the neddle moves all the way to 10 and stops there and when you slow down it goes down the neddle doens't move in correspondence with the speed because stays at 10 mph and could be going 40 but is stoped at 10

thank you for the welcome sorry i couldnt respond any sooner guys
  5. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

If you have an android phone get Torque (android app) and the OBD-II bluetooth cable ($70 for the good one) and compare the speedometer on that to your dash. If Torque gets the speed wrong you have a sensor problem. If Torque gets the speed right you have a cluster problem.
  6. jorge995

jorge995 New Member

Jamm3r I don't have an android phone I have blackberry but that's a very good way to determine I wonder if that also read codes and all that ???
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It does, I am planing to buy one. There are cheaper Bluetooth adapters that work (Elm 327), but they have trouble pairing and sometimes don't work with the app. The app is 4.95 on the Google Play store. I does all kinds of things and the newer the vehicle the more functions.
  8. jorge995

jorge995 New Member

man that is awesome who needs auto scanners anymore with android phones lol
  9. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

Not perfect but you can read and reset codes and access a good deal of real time data -- fuel trims, temperatures, throttle position. They've improved the freeze frame support which I haven't had to use yet but it looks like it would help chase those wonky engine control problems that show up and then disappear.
  10. jorge995

jorge995 New Member

nice very good