Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Clutch or Transmission "whining noise"

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by HulkMode, May 20, 2013.

1. HulkMode

HulkMode New Member

I recently purchased a 2005 Silverado 1500 V6 with the 5 speed manual transmission.
    Ever since I got it, I noticed that when letting off the clutch it would make a slight noise, but nothing to be concerned about.
    A few days ago I noticed it developed a whine of sorts.
    As I start driving, it increases with the RPM's so long as the clutch is not pressed. As soon as I get on the clutch to shift gears, it will go away and it's normally not audible while cruising (low rpm's in high gears).
    I took it in and had a buddy of mine look at it. He noticed a couple of loose bolts and a transmission leak, so we tightened the bolts up and filled up the tranny. As soon as I let off the clutch with the bolts tight, it would make a really loud grinding noise...
    In order to fix this until we had time to inspect the issue more, we loosed some of the bolts back up and called it a day.
    Still get the noise when idle and I release the clutch and still get the whining sound.

Any help is appreciated!

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The noise coming and going with the clutch engaged and disengaged sounds like the throw out bearing is bad.
    The grinding noise when you tightened the bolts again suggests a bad throwout bearing or possibly the input shaft bearings are going also.

3. HulkMode

HulkMode New Member

Since the truck is approaching 110k, instead of just replacing the bearing, would you recommend just swaping out the entire clutch at this point in time?
    This is my first time with a truck and I know in all my cars that clutches needed to be replaced between 60 and 100k, not sure if the same applies to trucks or not?

Also, thank you for the prompt response.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My personal recomendation would be yes.
    The factor that drives this is normally finances, since you not only need the friction disk and throw out bearing, its good practice to also have the clutch plate surfaced and any unexpected issues you might encounter the job cost quickly gets to be more than asked for, but the end result is a trustworthy vehicle

5. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

mine does too.
    i have a NV 3500; back when they were still putting them behind V8s
    its a torque machine. i added heavy weight royal purple oil... that helped a little bit in absorbing the noise, but it still winds up louder than my exhaust lol
    especially when im in 2nd, rolling through my neighborhood, hearing it echo off parked cars, or when im driving down the highway with the windows up.
    is yours also a 4x4?

6. HulkMode

HulkMode New Member

Seems like I may be highly unlucky here.
    I now took it into 3 different shops and they all say the same thing, a new transmission is needed.
    Now, to find one in decent shape that won't break the bank is another thing.

7. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

oh yeah... i didnt read this part...
    " ...He noticed a couple of loose bolts and a transmission leak, so we tightened the bolts up and filled up the tranny. As soon as I let off the clutch with the bolts tight, it would make a really loud grinding noise..."

yeah, sounds like too much banging gears and trying to do burn outs... may need a new transmission if you get in there and see the housing cracked...
    i would take the time to also carefully inspect your diff. too. look at the carrier and the gear "wipe"
    if its 4x4 fully inspect the T-case as well...