1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

clutch to electric fan

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by newcheylover, Jul 15, 2013.

1. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

I have an 01 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L and would like to switch to an electric one for a number of reasons. Im wondering if anyone else has attempted this and how I should go about doing this swap? Details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

With that bodystyle of truck, it should be pretty easy to put an electric fan in it. From what I recall, there's already provisions in the computer and wiring harness to output a fan turn-on signal. The computer may need a flash to turn on the function, but it should be there. From there, install a heavy relay to power the fan, and voila, a computer-controlled e-fan.
  3. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

i did some research and heard there were bolt on kits for the fans on your original radiator but i cant find anything like that. i was thinking of going to my local junk yard and get myself two fans and make myself some brackets. the only issue im facing is the computer aspect of it. looking at the big jumble of wires and deciphering them isnt really my strong suit. any suggestions?
  4. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

hi newcheylover
    you have need practical knowledge about this,for avoiding more problem.Electric fan has high efficiency because the electric fan motor is directly mounted to the same frame which mounts the shroud,smaller the clearance between tip of the fan blade & the shroud,more efficiently fan will move air.it may create other problem if improperly installed.if you want to install an electric fan,you must have a knowledge about generic process.