1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

code 1850 - trans component slipping

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jonejam2, Feb 15, 2011.

1. jonejam2

jonejam2 New Member

code 1870 - trans component slipping

I have a 1996 chevy suburban 1500 4x4 auto trans with overdrive. I just rebuilt the motor and it seems to be running fine now. But, tonight as I was test driving I was going up slight hill and pushed down on the pedal slightly and the engine rpm's jumped up and the CEL came on with code 1870 - trans component slipping.

I put a new tranny filter and replaced the fluids when I redid the engine. I dont think it is low on fluid.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could cause this? there are 270,000 miles on the tranny.

Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    JJ

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Also. THis has the 5.7 liter vortec motor.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Below is a Excellent Link Re-Guarding.......Trouble Code....P1870,

At the Bottom of this Link.......it Basically Said that installing a New Control Valve Body Should and Will Correct the Problem on Trouble Code P1870

Link,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?54475-LOOK-HERE!!!-Trouble-code...p1870.....for-harsh-1-2-shifts.....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Im lost is it code 1850 or 1870??? if it is an 1870 what heartbeat has said more than will fix it but if it is an 1850 it means that the clutch packs are slipping or the converter, meaning it is time for a rebuild sadly, and 270K miles is a LONG time for 4L60E to live in a suburban since the sunshell is prone to fail in them as well.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ya Mike.....I noticed that also......:neutral:.......I just thought I'd posted the Link on the P0187 Code???....:glasses:
  5. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey Mike & Mike, I noticed JJ edited his post. I think this is where the confusion comes from ---> Last edited by jonejam2; Yesterday at 08:44 PM. Reason: Corrected code
  6. murdog94

I noticed as well but asked because he didnt correct the trans slippage part..
  7. jonejam2

jonejam2 New Member

Thanks all. I received the 1870 code trans slippage. I am looking at the link that heartbeat provided. My only concern is that this problem has never occured until AFTER I replaced the trans filter and fluid. I might have too much fluid in it though, which I have read can cause the slippage as well. I am going to drain a little out and double check my dipstick level again. (Luckily I had a drain plug installed when I pulled the pan to replace the filter).

Questions: 1. Can you tell me what the "Sunshell" is?
    2. Is it better to go ahead and have the tranny rebuilt BEFORE it has a major problem or to wait until it actually fails?
    3. What would be typical cost to rebuild this transmission?
    4. How would you know if the torque converter is blue/overheated?
    5. Is a hard 1-2 shift only from 1st to 2nd gear or can it happen at speed (55mph constant going up slight grade and step on gas to increase slowly to 60 mph)
    6. Finally is the control valve body replaced in a normal rebuild or would that be a separate cost?

Thanks everyone.
    JJ
  8. murdog94

The sunshell is up in the tranny and part of the OD unit. It is a gear, and can fail in the 4L60E and the 4T60E (front wheel drive cars).
    Typical cost for a rebuild is anywhere from $1000-$2000 depending on shop etc.
    As to an overheated tourqe converter im not 100% since ive only managed to basically blow them up.
    Next is the hard shifts it is primarily the 1-2shifts, however im not clear if you mean the tranny is downshifting when you are going up hill or?
    The valve body would be replaced or should be replaced in a rebuild. However if you overfilled the tranny etc and are getting odd shifting try and go at that angle. As to having it rebuilt if it is shifting fine and nothing seems wrong after that then i would leave it alone and wait till it fails since a rebuild can do the same thing (not likely but it has happened) but that is just me since with things like motors and trannies when they are operating like they should i prefer not to spend the large sum of money.
  9. jonejam2

jonejam2 New Member

Thanks for all the info Mike.

I rechecked myfluid levels using the correct procedures (thanks to everyone on another thread for straightening me out on that) and I think my problem was that I was 3 quarts low on fluid. I'm going to retest today and see if I can get it to throw the code again. I appreciate the advice - i'll wait until it totally fails before rebuilding it. This tranny has a ton of miles and I expect i'll have to do it sooner or later.

JJ