Code P446

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jaygilman48, Oct 2, 2012.

1. jaygilman48

jaygilman48 New Member

My 02 Sierra is showing a P446 trouble code, something to do with evaporative emissions? Help please?

2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site.

P0446 is a code that has to do with the evap vent/purge

The evap vent valve closes in order to seal the vent so the EVAP system can pressurize and ensure there are no leaks. This valve is usually supplied battery voltage with key on. The ECM's driver controls the ground, and when grounded, activates the valve (closing it). If the ECM detects a short to ground, and open,or a short to battery voltage on the control circuit, P0446 will set. Code also may refer to ECM detecting that EVAP system is unable to achieve or maintain vacuum during test. A loose, improperly sealing or missing gas cap will cause this error as well.

There are no symptoms other than the warning light.

3. bograu223

bograu223 New Member

This code is a plague! My 05 SIERRA popped this code about 2 years ago. I replaced the vent valve assembly and 2 months later it came back! It didn't affect ant functions....except pop the stupid light. Year and a half go's bye and the light finally went out....no codes either. Must have been stuck or something?!?!?!

4. jaygilman48

jaygilman48 New Member

Thanks guys, truck runs fine just light on kinda annoying...

5. moogvo

Evap codes can be a monster to track down! One small pin hole in the wrong (or right) place can really create problems!

6. jaygilman48

jaygilman48 New Member

One more thing, when I loosen the gas cap I get a whooshing sound, sucking in I think as i don't smell gas...

7. moogvo

Your vent is not venting!