1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Code Reader Issue

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by spaceball04, Jan 22, 2009.

1. spaceball04

spaceball04 New Member

Hey out there. My 97 Chevy Express 2500 'service engine soon' light appeared yesterday at start up in the morning. When I went to O'Reilly's to read the code it said "NOT CONNECTED". So we tried another reader and had the same result. Three weeks ago I changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Other than that no other changes recently. I notice no difference in how the engine is running, and it definitely runs better after the recent tune up I did. Also, I had just filled up the tank the night before this happened. So my question is how do I go about finding out what has caused the light to come on? Is there a chance the reader and the computer are not "connected" some how? Any help is appreciated as I am towing my son's car from Tulsa to Florida for school in 3 days!!
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check the fuses. The fuse for the diagnostic connector is usually the same as the cigarette lighter.
  3. spaceball04

spaceball04 New Member

Thanks Mr Shorty

Well I checked and the cigarette lighter fuse was blown. I changed it, headed off to the parts store and still no reading of the code. I went to the dealer as I was getting pretty desperate by this time. Still no connection. I went home and disconnected the battery and re-attached it. Bingo! No light and then hooked up a reader and it was connected showing no problems. I figure that the fuse was blown but with the connector and the computer not connected no way for it to reset? Made the trip to Florida and back. So thanks again, I now know that trick.
  4. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Good man, these and some of the other models for this year were notorious for this with the Cig Lighter connection to the Diagnostic connection, dumb a.. idea eh!!!!!!

Jeff