1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

code readers and scan tools ?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dpeter, Mar 30, 2012.

1. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I recently had need for a scanner/code reader and rented one from the local Autozone and it was praised as a very good and versatile model but in real world use was for the most part useless. Glad it cost nothing to use if returned.
    The question is do any of you have or have used a PC based scanner that could read codes and real time data and transmission and body control modules and also control components? Are there any good and inexpensive models or are any that are good going to cost me hundreds of dollars?
  2. Blazer454

Blazer454 Member

We have a pc based scan tool my work but it is the factory VW program. Thats the only pc based one i have used. I own a Matco scan tool and we have multiple ones at work. Im sure there are good ones that you can buy for your pc, but the cheap ones will most likely not do what you want and be very slow
  3. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, since it doesn't seem to have a detailed list of supported capabilities, but have you looked at http://www.scantool.net/review/product/list/id/123/? It's at least not several hundred dollars. Full disclosure, I'm no expert on this stuff. I'm bored at work and trying to answer questions here via google. Just trying to provide options.

Here's another option: http://www.autoenginuity.com/

Hopefully this helps. If not, blame google. :)
  4. dpeter

Been thinking about the autoenginuity with the GM upgrade. Around 500 dollars. Still hard to pull the trigger without first hand knowledge or opinions.
  5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We have a autoenginuty at the shop it's nothing to spell its just more clear than a handheld, all the nice ones do the same job
  6. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

Here is what we use at our shop, we like it as it really dose intergrade with almost anything you can think of using it on, it is upgradeable as well.....
    In the dirty dog top kick I installed the edge evolution CTS and it seems to do every thing and more and is always at hand....
    I do not remember what we paid for the Innova obd2&1 but I am sure it has paid for itself many times over........ obd2.jpg obd1.jpg
  7. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I too have an Edge programmer in my truck but mine is the CS and I love it. It has also more than paid for itself. Codes and definitions. Very cool. :glasses:
  8. dpeter

Hey Dirty Dog, are you able to turn on and off or modify inputs with the Innova tool? What is the edge evolution CTS and what does it do?
  9. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

As I rarely use the the unit myself with the PC and software. I just use it( no pc) to read the codes and clear them, fix what needs fixen ,,a little old school here, the younger guys in the shop always got the pc hooked up to it... I am a little unsure of what you can delete or change, if i remember correctly it will depend on the software, the vehicle, and the year of the vehicle(some modules are hard burnt chips and can't be changed).this is just shop talk around here that i have sorta over heard ,,,lol... I will grab My partners PC on monday and plug into one of the work trucks and see exactly what it will do for deleting codes and or changing any input perimeters ( i use a mac pro) and they have not released mac soft ware that i am aware of yet...

as for the Edge this is one of my latest mods and i have it on the top kick, and still playing with it, there is a better edge product for the duramax then the evolution but it will not work on the topkick... but will work on all the other duramax trucks.... Its the edge juice with attitude cts and this was the one i really tried to make work but the folks at edge are very helpful, honest and knowledgeable ...so i suggest you check out the on line site do your research then call them on their toll free and they will point you to the most compatible product for your exact needs...... this way you will have the one you really need......