1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold air flowing from under dash

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by PondWarrior, Feb 2, 2013.

1. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

My 2001 silverado has cold air flowing in from somewhere under the glovebox on the passenger side.
    I haven't been able to find the source. I can feel the heat coming from the left side under the glove box but the cold comes from the right.
    Has anyone else had this problem or has any ideas of what it could be.
    It make it REALLY cold for any passenger on the highway during a Canadian winter.
    Thanks
  2. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Actually sounds like a blend door problem in dual zone air conditioning. Does your 2001 have dual zone? The blend door basically switches from cold air to hot. They pull from different areas, and if it's winter, cold will be COLD!

If this is the case, try moving the temperature gauge from hot to cold, hot to cold, hot to cold. If you still have the problem you might need to pull things apart to find the obstruction. Some folks have had some success trying the hot/cold method over a bumpy road. Often a small particle of dirt or debris just catches in the door's pathway, and it gets stuck. Sometimes its a full mechanical failure, and others an actuator problem. There's not a really great way to tell until you look at it physically.

Then again, if you don't have dual zone... the only thing I can think of is damage to your firewall or some other mechanical event that caused a gap to exist between your cab and the outside air. THAT could be as simple as rust, though I wouldn't suggest that as a first expectation.

Can you confirm the air is just coming out of the vents, or is it being blown in from another area?

-Skippy
  3. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

Thanks Skippy,

I do not have dual climate control, it's just an LS model with hot/cold and the different vent patterns.
    I looked underneath when my girlfriend first started complaining but I was unable to see any vents, do you know if there is a vent on the right side, under the glovebox?
    Thanks
    Cam