cold air intake: 2008 chev silverado, 5.3

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by sundancer2004, Jul 11, 2009.

1. sundancer2004

sundancer2004 New Member

I'm thinking of a CAI for my silverado. In reading reviews regarding the Spectre CAI some have written that they had to re-set the Mass Air Sensor or such. I would appreciate input from those who have installed this in a relatively new vehicle(07-08.09) as to weather it was just a bold on/installation, or did you have to re-set items. this one review indicated that his truck ran "wierd" until computer was re-set. thanks Steve

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. pontiacGTP123

pontiacGTP123 Rockstar 100 Posts

I never had to reset anything in my truck I just put it on and it ran fine from there.

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

should be plug and play

4. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider Rockstar 100 Posts

they do change your air/fuel ratio slighty but its not enough to need a retune. like everyone else stated, they are plug n play, he probably had issues from other modifications he made or something is my guess?

5. eallanboggs

eallanboggs New Member

Does a CAI change A/F ratio? No, the EPA gets to decide what your A/F should be. They decided 14.7:1 for gasoline was best and that's what your ECM "tries" to keep it at when you're in closed loop based on feedback from the sensors on your engine. A CAI is not a sensor so it does not alter A/F.