Cold Air intake bad for your engine because of dirt entering?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 04tahoez71, Jan 13, 2009.

1. 04tahoez71

04tahoez71 New Member

Hi Guys-

I just joined the site since I recently bought an 04 tahoe z71 and absolutely love it :). I want to increase mpg primarily and performance also. I heard installing a cold air intake and getting a hypertechh max programmer was an easy way to do this.

However after talking to several mechanics concerning a cold air intake, they did'nt recommend it. The reason being because of the greater surface area allowing more air flow, it also allows much more dirt and other small particles to enter the engine as can be seen if you take off the intake and look in the manifold after some use. Which in turn damages the engine. It makes sense in theory but is this actually true.

I find it hard to believe that K&N and other companies out there don't make the filter of good enough quality/materials to prevent all this junk from entering the engine??

Could you guys provide some feedback. Thansk for your help and i look forward to learning alot and giving feedback when i can also from this site :) !

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

I think K&N filters trap 99% of all dirt that enters the filter better than any stock filter.

3. 04tahoez71

04tahoez71 New Member

Also do AFE filters prevent better filtration than K&N ?

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Everyone claims to have the best. I researched most of the major brands before deciding on the AFE Pro-Guard7 filter. Here is a LINK that explains it better.

You could even modify your stock airbox to increase airflow and still retain your factory filter element.

5. mehoff400

mehoff400 Rockstar 100 Posts

i have AFE and Love it i coud put up pics if needed

6. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been running open element air intakes on most all of my vehicles for the past 12 years and have never seen any indication that my motors are going to fail due to particle intake. In fact, the first of my motors just crapped out on me, but it's an '83 Toyota and has almost 300k on it (150k from the previous owner).

7. 04tahoez71

04tahoez71 New Member

How can i modify my stock airbox for now to increase air flow like you netioned earlier?

8. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

if you have the box that goes around the filter you should be ok even in mud, if your like me and usually leave it open as long as you stay away from the mud you should be ok.

as far as the K&N goes as long as you clean and oil it when your suppose to you should be fine. K&N and the other big companys that have spend years building a good rep usually wont throw it away so easy

9. brownpridex111

brownpridex111 Rockstar 100 Posts

i dont think thats true i have a k&n intake in my sierra

10. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

When I was racing dirt track the air cleaner would stick up through the hood, it had a deflector in front of it but would still get covered with mud when we had to dry the track. The main thing was to be careful when we removed the air cleaner to not let any dirt fall into the carb.

If your truck is like my 03 Silverado and has a air box there is no way dirt is getting past the filter unless it is not sealed because of improper installation.

Bert